The Student Room Group

Urgent: Applying for extra student finance due to compelling personal reasons

Hi,

I've just finished my second year of university at the University of Kent. This second year has been really difficult, I have been struggling with insomnia, depression and anxiety, and my mum has been diagnosed with cancer, all the problems have culminated in my academic performance being significantly reduced. Now, I would like to restart university on a different course at a different institution., The course I want to study is photography, which is my current job and what I want to do in the future.

I am applying for an extra years of student finance due to compelling personal reasons and I'm just wondering if I'm eligible. I've used up 2 years of student finance - does this mean I have 2 years left, plus 1 CPR year (if granted) or do I have 1 year of finance left, and would have to raise 2 extra years of finance to restart on a 3 year course?

This is urgent and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help.

Thanks,
Billy
Reply 1
Hi Billy, My understanding is that Student Finance will grant up to four years of funding, if you are applying for CPR to discount your second year then in theory you would then still have three years of funding left. Good luck with your appeal.
Original post by Billy.rickards
Hi,

I've just finished my second year of university at the University of Kent. This second year has been really difficult, I have been struggling with insomnia, depression and anxiety, and my mum has been diagnosed with cancer, all the problems have culminated in my academic performance being significantly reduced. Now, I would like to restart university on a different course at a different institution., The course I want to study is photography, which is my current job and what I want to do in the future.

I am applying for an extra years of student finance due to compelling personal reasons and I'm just wondering if I'm eligible. I've used up 2 years of student finance - does this mean I have 2 years left, plus 1 CPR year (if granted) or do I have 1 year of finance left, and would have to raise 2 extra years of finance to restart on a 3 year course?

This is urgent and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help.

Thanks,
Billy

Hi Billy,

This is how we would work out your future entitlement for funding by using the previous study calculation;

3+1-2= 2 Years Entitlement
Your new course duration + 1 gift year - years of previous study = Full entitlement years remaining

If you are going to be direct entrant into your 2 of a 3 year course you'd be fully funded for those 2 years. If you're going to be starting the course from year 1 then you would only receive the Maintenance Loan in 1st year and for year 2 and 3 you would receive the Maintenance Loan and the Tuition Fee.

Compelling Personal Reasons: (If applicable)

If you didn’t finish a previous course for reasons beyond your control, you may be able to get an additional year of funding. You would need to send evidence from a professional person such as a doctor or someone from your University explaining your situation and why it meant you couldn’t continue with your studies.

Regards, Aisha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending