The Student Room Group

Is A level physics hard?

I want to do A level physics because it interests me but im wondering how difficult it is compared to GCSE. I find GCSE physics really easy to understand like there arent any topics i find difficult but is A level physics a lot harder? Or does it sort of naturally follow on and build upon what you already know or is it completely different? Ill take it anyway lmao but i just want to know what to expect
I found A Level physics very different to GCSE (it was much harder). But I also know people who disagree with me so it varies 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
You’ll hear this with all A levels but A level physics is significantly harder than GCSE level. However if you really invest in it and actually understand the concepts (instead of remembering them) it becomes pretty easy as physics is quite logical and many of the topics link to each other. It’s probably the hardest science conceptually but once you understand it it’s really satisfying.

There will be some familiar topics from GCSE but more in depth (which I preferred as you can actually understand why things happen) but there will also be some topics that are completely new.

I’d totally recommend studying physics but I’m biased lmao
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I want to do A level physics because it interests me but im wondering how difficult it is compared to GCSE. I find GCSE physics really easy to understand like there arent any topics i find difficult but is A level physics a lot harder? Or does it sort of naturally follow on and build upon what you already know or is it completely different? Ill take it anyway lmao but i just want to know what to expect

It's not as hard as everyone is making it seem, I only got a B in GCSE physics, struggled when I started Alevel, mainly because I wasnt really doing the work. Started doing the work towards the end and realised it wasnt hard at all. What I am saying is, you're very capable, as long as you do the work, it wont be a problem
Original post by pizza2503
You’ll hear this with all A levels but A level physics is significantly harder than GCSE level. However if you really invest in it and actually understand the concepts (instead of remembering them) it becomes pretty easy as physics is quite logical and many of the topics link to each other. It’s probably the hardest science conceptually but once you understand it it’s really satisfying.

There will be some familiar topics from GCSE but more in depth (which I preferred as you can actually understand why things happen) but there will also be some topics that are completely new.

I’d totally recommend studying physics but I’m biased lmao

I would love to learn more indepthly. GCSE is very vague with a lot of things which makes it hard to remember, i remember things better when i fully understand them. I assume that it will be taught in a way where it gradually builds up in difficulty but idk.

GCSE is no good. Its completely different to A levels. 50% of GCSE Physics is a flat out lie anyway..

U need good maths and undertanding concepts.
Original post by kunoichinin
GCSE is no good. Its completely different to A levels. 50% of GCSE Physics is a flat out lie anyway..

I am aware that it is a lie lmao ive been told by older students. I am good at maths so i wont have an issue there
I am aware that it is a lie lmao ive been told by older students. I am good at maths so i wont have an issue there

Forget everything u learned about sub-atomic particles and also mass. U will be fine then.
I "only" got an A in GCSE physics but I've been getting As recently. The step up is sometimes overexaggerated. Your GCSE maths knowledge should be secure (a solid grade A/7 or more will do)
no
Completely subjective so no one can give you a good answer, basically if you put in the work you’ll be fine, if not you’ll seriously struggle, as with any A level subject

What was a lie at GCSE?
Original post by _gcx
I "only" got an A in GCSE physics but I've been getting As recently. The step up is sometimes overexaggerated. Your GCSE maths knowledge should be secure (a solid grade A/7 or more will do)

I got a 9 in my mock so i should be alright
(edited 5 years ago)
Forget everything u learned about sub-atomic particles and also mass. U will be fine then.

Yeah i know the subatomic particles is fake because i once got sent out of my chemistey lesson and had to sit in an a level physics lesson
Definitely do Physics a-level! It is true that it’s way harder than gcse however it is also so much more interesting! It is a complete ******** that you will have to memorize a lot, the hardest part about a level physics isn’t it’s content but the structure of the exam. From personal experience most of the mistakes come not from the timing issues so there is that. Besides grade boundaries can be quite low like 58-60% for an A, I’m sure with the right amount of dedication and understanding any student can do well in physics:smile: Physics is the best a-level subject imho
fotoelectroc affect
The a level is very different to the gcse, but I found it to be ultimately a lot more rewarding as well. Like most gcses, gcse physics is essentially just memorisation. At a level, you really have to understand the content, which can be quite tricky to get your head around at first. This is because questions focus more on the application of key concepts to a situation you may not have even come across before. The difficulty of the maths is also a step up, but the maths is easier than single maths a level, as long as you understand the physical ideas behind the maths.
Reply 17

If you can naturally understand ideas in physics and you're good at maths then it's pretty easy. Other subjects are easier but you wouldn't struggle.
Original post by 410141
If you can naturally understand ideas in physics and you're good at maths then it's pretty easy. Other subjects are easier but you wouldn't struggle.

okay that's fine then because i think that applies to me. I had no problem at all understanding gcse and have read some books about physics (higher than gcse level) and I seem to understand those so I think I'll be alright. I have no issues with maths and am taking that alongside physics so that should help

Quick Reply

Latest