The Student Room Group

Eduqas Biology A Level Component 3 Monday 18th June

This poll is closed

How are you feeling about the final exam?

Excited 0%
Not excited but ok 26%
Ehhh 37%
Screwed37%
Total votes: 19
Hey just wanted to get a thread of comp. 3 started. feel free to post questions and use this as an unofficial mark scheme after the exam. how's everyone feeling?? One more left, its nearly over!!

Scroll to see replies

how did people find that?
Original post by summerpicnics
how did people find that?

weird, like i didn't like it nor did i love it
YES that exactly
harder or easier than last year?
Original post by summerpicnics
harder or easier than last year?

I would def say harder but maybe for the options topic the questions were a bit more nicer, also what did people put for the first question i wast struggling to even answer that
oh gosh that one! Something to do with think and then dense capillary network
What did people put for why rate of gas exchange is higher in alveoli than air spaces in leaf?
Original post by I. Infinity
What did people put for why rate of gas exchange is higher in alveoli than air spaces in leaf?

- animals have folded alveoli -> larger surface area
- animals have haemoglobin -> more carrying capacity for oxygen
- animals have ventilation mechanism
The question on digestion was just horrible. “Label structure B” *points at blank space*
On the whole I definitely found this paper better than C2 and about the same as C1
Original post by Mystelle
- animals have folded alveoli -> larger surface area
- animals have haemoglobin -> more carrying capacity for oxygen
- animals have ventilation mechanism

Also the continuous blood flow replaces blood with high pO2 with blood with low pO2, maintaining conc gradient
On the whole I definitely found this paper better than C2 and about the same as C1

what did you put for the protein question about fluid retention and did you accept or reject null hypothesis and why??
Original post by maths_geek234
what did you put for the protein question about fluid retention and did you accept or reject null hypothesis and why??

proteins lower the water potential at the venous end. the less proteins in the blood, the lower the osmotic pressure will be and therefore less water will move back into the capillaries by osmosis and more will remain in the tissue fluid even after the 10% has been drained into the lymphatic system
The question on digestion was just horrible. “Label structure B” *points at blank space*

omg isnt it i was so confused so i just put lymph and hoped for the best
Original post by coolgirl101
omg isnt it i was so confused so i just put lymph and hoped for the best

Ah yes I thought about putting that at first but then I realised you can’t actually see it in the diagram? Maybe I was wrong for not putting that :/

But A I just put ileum
Original post by coolgirl101
proteins lower the water potential at the venous end. the less proteins in the blood, the lower the osmotic pressure will be and therefore less water will move back into the capillaries by osmosis and more will remain in the tissue fluid even after the 10% has been drained into the lymphatic system

Original post by maths_geek234

Yeah pretty much what coolgirl put, but less detailed. I put reject null hypothesis because t test value is greater than critical value. So less than 5% chance the difference was due to chance.
Did anyone get why t-test is used instead of chi squared? I put DV is measure of time so it’s interval, whereas Chi squared is for nominal data. But I only knew this from doing psychology so no idea whether this will be relevant to biology.

Also did everyone do as their options? I did neurobiology
Ah yes I thought about putting that at first but then I realised you can’t actually see it in the diagram? Maybe I was wrong for not putting that :/

But A I just put ileum

the only reason i put lymph was because in one of the parts after it said structure A disappeared so i thought it couldnt be ileum so i changed it to lymph??? idk the photomicrograph was like looking at a ball of dust. everything just looked the same
Hahaha “why is this snakes study considered as unethical” BECAUSE YOU FREAKING KILLED THEM AT THE END XD lmao eduqas

Quick Reply

Latest