This discussion is closed.
Alex 560
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does anyone know if there are specific topics I should be revising for the upcoming PD exam? There’s just so much content to learn and some specific topics would really help. Thanks. X
SaintTsuki
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bump
RoronoaZoro3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bump
SaintTsuki
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bump?
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I have mine on Friday and pretty much anyone who took product design wasn't taught well.

The specification is too vague so all the textbooks are over-saturated with irrelevant information, most of which will not be needed at all.

You can score a B with common sense really.

I'm in the exact same position as you. Started revision on Monday but done **** all bro. Essentially, i'm just going to prepare for Section A preliminary materials (mine was food lunch boxes or something) and hopefully use common sense and a lot of ********ting for section B. I just cannot wait till it is all over honestly exam fatigue has got to me, I cannot take it anymore.

EDIT: Oh crap aha I didnt even answer the question. LOOOL specific topics should be (for AQA):
-Sources and Properties of materials
-Manufacturing Processes

The rest is ********table. TBH a lot of the information from those two topics won't be needed either.
SaintTsuki
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mc_miah)
Yeah I have mine on Friday and pretty much anyone who took product design wasn't taught well.

The specification is too vague so all the textbooks are over-saturated with irrelevant information, most of which will not be needed at all.

I'm in the exact same position as you. Started revision on Monday but done **** all bro. Essentially, i'm just going to prepare for Section A preliminary materials (mine was food lunch boxes or something) and hopefully use common sense and a lot of ********ting for section B. I just cannot wait till it is all over honestly exam fatigue has got to me, I cannot take it anymore.

EDIT: Oh crap aha I didnt even answer the question. LOOOL specific topics should be (for AQA):
-Manufacturing Processes

The rest is ********table. TBH a lot of the information from those two topics won't be needed either.
So shook cause my school kept switching teachers and they didn't advise us well on the coursework so pretty much everyone failed with E's etc (i got a C luckily). No good resources and since we're a girls school, barely anyone picks PD anyway- they don't invest any time in us. SLT literally advised us to drop PD D:
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SaintTsuki)
So shook cause my school kept switching teachers and they didn't advise us well on the coursework so pretty much everyone failed with E's etc (i got a C luckily). No good resources and since we're a girls school, barely anyone picks PD anyway- they don't invest any time in us. SLT literally advised us to drop PD D:
Ahh damn the struggle aha.
I fluked it into a grammar school and unfortunately chose PD. We have had two teachers and for the past 6 months we have had an 80 yr old man with a burning passionate love for trains and transportation ships (or whatever their called).

He's literally leaving this September and I think most of us could tell he did not care whether we passed or not as he's leaving anyway. Ah sad times.

Yeah aha most of the people who picked PD were girls, alongside Art; literally me and 2 other boys chose it in our small close of 20. Pretty much almost every girl that chose Art alongside PD, became stressful as hell, and 6 dropped either Art or PD. One dropped Both. Anyways that's crazy how most got an E most of us got C's and B's. Either way, both of our schools let us down. They should just abandon that GCSE now.

Goddamn us PD students eh ahaaa :rofl: I'm just happy its all almost over. Going to be the biggest wing of my life apart from Spanish speaking. Fortunately it's the least of my worries :lol:
AFNF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys
I did pretty well in my coursework, so if I get a bad grade will it affect my coursework grade???
Like would my overall grade go down???????????????
Alex 560
Rep:
?
Your coursework grade won’t change because of your grade in the exam as they are separate sections of the GCSE, but if you got a lower grade in one than the other one could bring your overall grade down. But your coursework is worth 60% of your overall grade - so don’t worry too much.
AFNF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
WHAT THE ****
OMFG

Can you help me, what subjects are you studying??????????????????
AFNF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Like what should I focus on the most
Alex 560
Rep:
?
I’m focusing on material and their properties and their sources but I don’t know what will come up in the exam. If your with aqa then my teacher told me that we should revise food carriers such as lunch boxes. If your really struggling just learn some basics such as examples and properties off different types of wood and plastics. And what anthropometrics and ergonomics are cause that always come up.
Alex 560
Rep:
?
(Original post by mc_miah)

-Manufacturing Processes

What do you mean by manufacturing processes - why sort of thing should I be revising?
AFNF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alex 560)
I’m focusing on material and their properties and their sources but I don’t know what will come up in the exam. If your with aqa then my teacher told me that we should revise food carriers such as lunch boxes. If your really struggling just learn some basics such as examples and properties off different types of wood and plastics. And what anthropometrics and ergonomics are cause that always come up.
For me, I'm fine with properies and sources. I'm just not sure on how to put what ik on paper
Alex 560
Rep:
?
Tbh I struggle with that too. But if you know what your writing about that’s better than nothing. Also remember that a lot of pd question you can answer just using you common sense
jasminepanesar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i hate how it's 2 hours.. i get so tired!
i don't even know where to start with the theory- we spent too long on coursework
rn im just trying to think of creative lunchbox ideas
AFNF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jasminepanesar)
i hate how it's 2 hours.. i get so tired!
i don't even know where to start with the theory- we spent too long on coursework
rn im just trying to think of creative lunchbox ideas

Draw one of these
Easy
Just say that it's made out of corrugated board and the viewing is made from cornstarch
Alex 560
Rep:
?
Same 😂. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if I fell asleep during the exam. We spent nearly 2 years on our coursework and practical and like 2 weeks on theory so I’ve been revising as much as I can without falling asleep from boredom. I also don’t understand why they don’t just tell us specific topic to revise - like they expect us to know everything - that’s just not going to happen!
AFNF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You guys have it easy
I got extra time
I gotta sit

thru all the time
jasminepanesar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AFNF)

Draw one of these
Easy
Just say that it's made out of corrugated board and the viewing is made from cornstarch
isn't a box too much of a simple shape?
and all my teacher keeps on talking about is how it should be made of a plastic like hdpe
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (12)
10.91%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (72)
65.45%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.73%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (10)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (2)
1.82%

Watched Threads