What's a criminal psychologists job role in court?

Watch this thread
blitterflicker
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I've read up about criminal psychologists and their job roles. I've learnt that they have a hard time in court and ofen have to defend themselves. Why is this?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by blitterflicker)
So I've read up about criminal psychologists and their job roles. I've learnt that they have a hard time in court and ofen have to defend themselves. Why is this?
Not really sure how much they are used as experts in court.
As we have an adversarial system then the other side will seek to challenge whatever opinion they have to strengthen their case and weaken who you are assisting.
Parkleton
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by blitterflicker)
In court, they are called up as expert witnesses. Anyone can be a witness of fact, but in order to be an expert witness you have to be an expert in that subject. So, in order to determine whether the psychologist is indeed an expert, the solicitors and barristers will seek to undermine their credibility, such as by looking at their qualifications, publications and whether they have expert knowledge of the field they are giving evidence about.
blitterflicker
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Parkleton)
In court, they are called up as expert witnesses. Anyone can be a witness of fact, but in order to be an expert witness you have to be an expert in that subject. So, in order to determine whether the psychologist is indeed an expert, the solicitors and barristers will seek to undermine their credibility, such as by looking at their qualifications, publications and whether they have expert knowledge of the field they are giving evidence about.
Oh I see. Great answer!

Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (60)
16.3%
The paper was reasonable (179)
48.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
25%
It was TERRIBLE (37)
10.05%

Watched Threads