The Student Room Group

Predictions for A-Level OCR A Biology (Unified Paper 3) 2018?

Anyone got predictions for topics that will be featured on the last (unified) Biology paper? (H420/03)
Either things that haven't come up in a while or based on the first 2, thank you in advance!
Original post by marnierae
Anyone got predictions for topics that will be featured on the last (unified) Biology paper? (H420/03)
Either things that haven't come up in a while or based on the first 2, thank you in advance!

I think chi-squared will come up, even though it did come up in last years paper 2. I also think chromatography/ colourimetry will probably pop up. I also think that the excretion/hormonal control side of things will come up, as (from what i can remember) this hasnt really come up on the other two papers yet.

Overall, i think its a good idea to cover everything, even if its in a small amount of detail, and also go over all of the practicals and maths
Genetics will most likely come up also
Original post by mariapase
Genetics will most likely come up also

Yeah im thinking inheritance will come up such as a Punett square. Also one of the tests like starch. The immune system definately and transport in plants, maybe a bit of enzymes in there as well. Good luck!!
Reply 4
Original post by IonaGrace17
I think chi-squared will come up, even though it did come up in last years paper 2. I also think chromatography/ colourimetry will probably pop up. I also think that the excretion/hormonal control side of things will come up, as (from what i can remember) this hasnt really come up on the other two papers yet.

Overall, i think its a good idea to cover everything, even if its in a small amount of detail, and also go over all of the practicals and maths

Chromatography possible but it did come up a lot on the unified paper for last year.
just thinking we havent really had much in terms of module 3 transport and also plants? could be long processes to consider there when revising...
what hasnt really come up yet:
liver
stats tests
patterns of inheritance
post transcriptional control, epigenetics
ventilation in fish
tests for lipids, carbs, proteins
meiosis
phloem and xylem
(edited 5 years ago)
A list of the stuff I think will come up (obviously not all of it will it's only 1.5 hours long)

The Heart
The Kidney
Haemoglobin dissociation curves
Tissue fluid, hydrostatic and oncotic pressure
Xerophytes and hydrophytes
Enzymes
Protein synthesis
Active transport
Osmosis
Autonomic nervous system
Organisation of the nervous system
Reflex arcs
Negative feedback mechanisms
Endo and ectotherms
Recombinant plasmids
Gene therapy
PCR
Inheritance diagrams
Hardy-Weinberg Principle
Sex linkage
SCNT
Nitrogen cycle
Reply 8
How did you guys find it, it was very difficult compared to last year
Reply 9
Literally, what the hell is a pili in the first question
Absolutely hated that. Loved the 16 markers but honestly hated the rest
Reply 11
Both paper 2 and 3 were harder than last years paper 2 and 3
I didn’t think it was too bad a few odd questions though
Reply 13
What was on the paper quick !!!
Original post by Alim kamara

Screwed it, didn't manage to finish it. Hope boundaries would be really low...
Original post by Alim kamara

Bad, Very Bad
Reply 16
Is there an unofficial mark scheme for this paper?
Reply 17
Guys please do not forget to complete opinion polls. Please click below.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=60246
Original post by marnierae

I’m feeling the structure and function of the brain may come up I feel that they haven’t asked any big questions on it for a long time. Biotechnology e.g culturing microorganisms, bioreactors to go with the whole proteins and lipids theme their been going for at the end of each exam paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending