The Student Room Group

New people moving in to my accommodation today

Today there has been at least one (haven’t met anyone else yet) international student move into my flat. I wasn’t warned about this, and therefore assumed that the flat would be empty until the end of June, when my tenancy ends here.

Is it normal for this to happen? It’s made me feel very nervous and anxious because I’m not good with new people, especially when they’re in my living space with no warning!
Reply 1
Original post by inthecorner
Today there has been at least one (haven’t met anyone else yet) international student move into my flat. I wasn’t warned about this, and therefore assumed that the flat would be empty until the end of June, when my tenancy ends here.

Is it normal for this to happen? It’s made me feel very nervous and anxious because I’m not good with new people, especially when they’re in my living space with no warning!

Many universities rent out accommodation over the summer period when undergraduates leave after exams- perhaps to postgraduates who are still there in the summer for their dissertations or similar. It is common for international students to stay in university owned accommodation over the summer period too.

In short, yes it is normal
Reply 2
Original post by lilGem
Many universities rent out accommodation over the summer period when undergraduates leave after exams- perhaps to postgraduates who are still there in the summer for their dissertations or similar. It is common for international students to stay in university owned accommodation over the summer period too.

In short, yes it is normal

Thanks :smile: not a fan of not knowing how many people may or may not be living with me over the next couple of weeks. My flat mate who moved out on Monday is worried that this may affect her deposit if they mess her old room up, do you think this is possible?
Reply 3
Thanks :smile: not a fan of not knowing how many people may or may not be living with me over the next couple of weeks. My flat mate who moved out on Monday is worried that this may affect her deposit if they mess her old room up, do you think this is possible?

I agree- they should have warned you :smile:

The university accommodation should be aware when he moved out and the condition of his room, before handing the keys over to someone else. I would definitely follow up on this and make sure

The university’s accommodation staff will have checked the room and taken a separate deposit from the student who has moved into the room.

I don't think you should expect a shared flat to be empty. Flat owner will want to fill it with new tenants.

But they should have given you advance warning and arrange for you and new tenant to meet before they move in.

Quick Reply