Car insurance without a black box Watch

HarrySY
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello everyone,
I've recently passed my test and I am looking for advice on car insurance but the catch is without a black box and as cheap as possible.
Now before people start commenting "black boxes aren't that bad" etc I've fully decided I do not want one so do not try to change my opinion on this.
Just about every 17 year old male has this problem, I've gone through so many car options, I was looking at a 1.0l corsa the insurance with a box was about £1500 but when I put in a 1.6 Ford KA (aka the world's most ugliest car) from the early 2000s I found insurance with a box at about £1100 which is just ridiculous that a car with a faster engine costs less to insure, this is likely due to the large difference in price but I have tried putting cars like the corsa as being near enough worthless and it hasn't made a huge deal of impact on my quote.
So yeah basically anyone know of a cheap car to buy, insure without a box.
Trying to find something so cheap is near enough impossible but I genuinely don't care about how rubbish the car looks a decent/ fast-ish engine is all I want without a black box.

want it so cheap because mans in poverty xx
maeger
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Older style Vauxhall Agila 1.2 (Suzuki Wagon R with a Corsa 1.2 motor) was 900 pounds first year for me, and I was 19. No black box. Car is ugly as ****, but can do 110mph, and is quite practical, I've put a whole motorcycle in back once when my friend broke down.
blogbyreviews
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm looking for car insurance myself but its like 2800-3500 a year... what am I doing wrong?
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by blogbyreviews)
I'm looking for car insurance myself but its like 2800-3500 a year... what am I doing wrong?
Where do you live, how old are you, what car and whats your job title?
blogbyreviews
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xDron3)
Where do you live, how old are you, what car and whats your job title?
Manchester, 20, Vauxhall Astra active 2010, cashier
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
xMinnie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ive payed in total £1500 for my first year of insurance WITH a black box!!! To be honest I think there's no getting away from the fact that the first year of insurance is extortionately priced :'(
blogbyreviews
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xMinnie)
Ive payed in total £1500 for my first year of insurance WITH a black box!!! To be honest I think there's no getting away from the fact that the first year of insurance is extortionately priced :'(
I feel like the black box will be a restriction. How is the black box for you
blogbyreviews
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mine does get cheaper with a black box but I’ve heard problems about people owning a black box so I’m not sure.
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Manchester, 20, Vauxhall Astra active 2010, cashier
Sounds about right, Manchester is a high risk area, young driver and an Astra is a popular car with usually a semi-decent engine capacity.

The only thing you can do is add your parents, try different comparison sites and see if you can twist the truth of your job title.
xMinnie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel like the black box will be a restriction. How is the black box for you
Honestly, its an absolute nightmare unless you drive perfectly 100% of the time. If you consistently get a bad score on speeding then they can & will take your insurance away. Also most black boxes have curfews so you cant drive at night (however mine doesnt, smart wheels). I had no choice as the insurance was just ridiculous without one..
blogbyreviews
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xDron3)
Sounds about right, Manchester is a high risk area, young driver and an Astra is a popular car with usually a semi-decent engine capacity.

The only thing you can do is add your parents, try different comparison sites and see if you can twist the truth of your job title.
Do you know which job title could lower it? I’ve added my parents but it doesn’t really make a difference.
Parabrad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We can't give you a definite answer. You need to have a look on some price comparison sites and get quotes. When I had a 1.6 VW Golf, due to it having a few aftermarket mods, I paid just over £300 a month and that was with a black box. I now pay £200 a month on a 1.6 Citroen Saxo VTR without a black box which I'm quite happy with - so it's just a matter of running some quotes as it'll differ greatly depending on your circumstances. I definitely understand why you don't want a black box - it's unnecessarily restrictive.
Last edited by Parabrad; 1 week ago
blogbyreviews
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 8radley)
We can't give you a definite answer. You need to have a look on some price comparison sites and get quotes. When I had a 1.6 VW Golf, due to it having a few aftermarket mods, I paid just over £300 a month and that was with a black box. I now pay £200 a month on a 1.6 Citroen Saxo VTR without a black box which I'm very happy with - so it's just a matter of running some quotes as it'll differ greatly depending on your circumstances. I definitely understand why you don't want a black box - it's unnecessarily restrictive.
Some people say that I should try companies like Aviva and Directline as they sometimes can be cheaper. But I’m not having much luck. Is it better if I just wait or should I just get black box insurance?
Parabrad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some people say that I should try companies like Aviva and Directline as they sometimes can be cheaper. But I’m not having much luck. Is it better if I just wait or should I just get black box insurance?
No, simply don't listen to them. As aforementioned, it'll differ depending on your circumstances. Have you ran quotes on comparison sites? These include Confused.com, MoneySuperMarket, GoCompare and CompareTheMarket.
They will tell you if the policy is telematics or not, so simply choose the cheapest one that isn't a blackbox policy.
As said above, adding someone else with a lot of driving experience as a named driver will also help. Also remember, TPFT can be more expensive than comprehensive, and TPO is out of the question. This will also be evident when you run quotes though.
blogbyreviews
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 8radley)
No, simply don't listen to them. Have you ran quotes on comparison sites? These include Confused.com, MoneySuperMarket, GoCompare and CompareTheMarket.
They will tell you if the policy is telematics or not, so simply choose the cheapest one that isn't a blackbox policy.
As said above, adding someone else with a lot of driving experience as a named driver will also help. Also remember, TPFT can be more expensive than comprehensive, and TPO is out of the question.
Yes I used the comparison websites that you have listed but still very expensive.
Parabrad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I used the comparison websites that you have listed but still very expensive.
For a '10 your quotes shouldn't be too crazy. Though £2800 seems about right really. Unfortunately there's not much you can do if you've done a lot of searching and can't find a non-telematics policy you're happy paying for, besides getting a different car. It's the joys of being a new/young driver.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads