The Student Room Group

Intelligence is a myth

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RuneFreeze
coordination, spatial awareness and reaction time are not forms of intelligence. Sorry, they're just not, no matter how much you want them to be. However it wouldn't surprise me if there is a correlation between intelligence and the traits you mentioned, but that doesn't make them 'forms of intelligence'.

Yes they are.
Reply 21
Original post by Tankinator
There seems to be a general admiration for those who appear to possess a "natural" intelligence.

How exactly do you determine if someone is "naturally" intelligent? The observable functionality of any brain is dependent on practice and exposure. For example, take two different people. One who practices a lot of sport regularly and another who never plays sport. They are both introduced to a brand new sport at the same time. It would be expected that the sportsman picks up the new sport faster and better than the non -sportsman, but this can't be attributed to his "natural born talent". What is really being tested here is their experience in kinaesthetic activities.

I've seen people like that and I know people like that. Sometimes I don't understand how some people never ever revise for a test or exam and still come out with decent/stellar results. I used to think that it isn't fair on the people that do work hard and only manage to achieve so much whereas the people who don't work hard get the grades, like absolutely everything they want. I guess natural intelligence means how high your IQ is. Because your IQ is formed from your understanding of certain situations, your interpretations, your thoughts and many of that depends on the way you grew up, what you were most influenced by, your exposure to certain things and some of it even comes from genes. But that doesn't mean that people who are naturally intelligent can slack about and do whatever they want. My maths teacher actually told me that even the smartest people who get everything quickly and grasp things quickly have to work hard. Intelligence can only get you so much but hard work is what pushes you out of your boundaries and limits.
You are using an analogy that isn't about intelligence to justify your argument about intelligence? Skills are different to intelligence. If natural intelligence does no exist, then why do kids who go to the same school and receive the same education have different talents in different subjects? Why is it that when you introduce an activity to a group of young children, some will be just better than the rest? Why isn't everyone on par with Albert Einstein or Steven Hawking? I agree that natural intelligence (or talent in general) is impossible to measure but it definitely exists. Even in nursery there are obvious differences in aptitude for certain things between children.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending