Brittany93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a US national planning to take the GDL in the Fall. Taking away my immigration status, I’d say I’m a fairly decent training contract applicant. I don’t have any A levels because they’re not offered in the US, but I took 6 AP classes in high school, and graduated with honors. I finished my bachelor’s with a 3.68 GPA, which is about the equivalent of a high 2:1 or low 1st. At 25, I’m probably a few years older than most applicants, but I’ve worked as a paralegal/legal assistant for the past 2 years. However, I understand that tier 2 visas are expensive to sponsor and difficult to get even with a sponsor. So my question is how likely am I to be offered a training contract as a non-UK, non-EEA resident, who requires a tier 2 visa? Has anyone done so? How and with which firm? Did you have any issues securing a visa after getting the offer?

tl;dr - If you or someone you love has been offered a training contract with a tier 2 visa, please tell me your story.
The Blind Monk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't need a Tier 2 but I have worked at firms which sponsor Tier 2s so I do feel qualified to comment in this area. Broadly speaking, big city shops are quite happy to recruit people who require Tier 2 visas. There is an additional cost, but it's manageable and as of a few years ago, they did not need to pass the resident labour market test so long as they offered the training contract to a person who was already on a student visa. So the key thing was to apply for TCs and get one while still a student. Quite a few trainees at my old shop (a Silver Circle law firm) and my new shop (a US law firm) are on Tier 2 visas, so it's clearly possible.

I don't pretend to know much outside of the City law bubble, so no comment re anything outside that.
skhattab
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is super late but did you end up getting a TC/Sponsorship? I am in the same situation currently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (263)
54.23%
18-20 years old (no) (63)
12.99%
20-25 years old (yes) (82)
16.91%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.86%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.15%