The Student Room Group

My dad is having an affair

So my mum told me tonight that my dad is having an affair. I was crushed. We haven’t always gotten on that well but in the last year we have been closer and many a time we have talked about having an affair and my dad always joked that he is “too lazy to have an affair

When my mum told me I thought it would be like a fling. It’s not. It’s been ten years with the same women. I think I would have been more accepting of it if it was a fling, but it’s been going on for the most part of my life. I just feel so broken. The woman he has been seeing lives near me, where I go to uni, and he’s been staying with my godfather a lot to come and visit me, we would spend two or three hours together when he’s there for a weekend. I can’t help feel used, because he’s been meeting up with her when he’s been visiting me.

My dad is a well respected man, with high morals. We’ve been brought up in a strict religious household, and I’ve been in trouble before for “breaking commandments” and even at the age of 19 I still had to go to mass when I came home from uni. I just can’t get my head round it. Is that normal?

My parents are splitting up and I don’t know how to feel about it? How should I feel?
Reply 1
^^ and he is now moving to another country
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So my mum told me tonight that my dad is having an affair. I was crushed. We haven’t always gotten on that well but in the last year we have been closer and many a time we have talked about having an affair and my dad always joked that he is “too lazy to have an affair

When my mum told me I thought it would be like a fling. It’s not. It’s been ten years with the same women. I think I would have been more accepting of it if it was a fling, but it’s been going on for the most part of my life. I just feel so broken. The woman he has been seeing lives near me, where I go to uni, and he’s been staying with my godfather a lot to come and visit me, we would spend two or three hours together when he’s there for a weekend. I can’t help feel used, because he’s been meeting up with her when he’s been visiting me.

My dad is a well respected man, with high morals. We’ve been brought up in a strict religious household, and I’ve been in trouble before for “breaking commandments” and even at the age of 19 I still had to go to mass when I came home from uni. I just can’t get my head round it. Is that normal?

My parents are splitting up and I don’t know how to feel about it? How should I feel?

do u have any siblings? and are your mum and dad close?
I'm so sorry this has happened. There's not too much you can at the moment apart from support your mum. Do you have any friends who have been in a similar situation?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mtawafi
do u have any siblings? and are your mum and dad close?

Yeah I have a younger sister who has literally just finished sitting her GCSEs. Yeah, they don’t have much in common but they always seemed happy enough 😭
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm so sorry this has happened. There's not too much you can at the moment apart from support your mum. Do you have any friends who have been in a similar situation?

I just feel like I should do something. Like I don’t even know how to feel. Yeah sort of, my best friend is going through a very similar situation with her parents, but it’s not because one of them cheated. She understands and I’ve talked to her but I’m just so hurt by it. Like now he’s talking about moving countries 🤦🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️😭
Reply 6
F*** YOUR DAD. FORGET HIM AND LOVE YOUR MUM UNCONDITIONALLY. How she was able to stay with him I'll never know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending