The Student Room Group

Should I dump my boyfriend because of his horrible best friend?

I’ve met his best friend once and my first impression was great but I didn’t think he was actually a NASTY person. Long story short my boyfriend updated his cover photo to Facebook of a photo of me and him on holiday at a bar. All his family and other friends commented lovely stuff like cute” or lovely photo” or great couple” but his best friend commented last saying I didn’t know they had Thai Prostitutes over there” I didn’t actually see this comment but my dad did bevause my dad had previously commented on the photo and my dad had told me what the comment said. Rightly so my dad was furious and told me to tell my boyfriend. I told my boyfriend and he said he knew and that he deleted the commented. My parents are really disappointed as am I, bevause we are 20 years old and his immature best” friend made a rude comment. My mum thinks it’s racist. 1. I’m not Thai, I’m mixed race. And 2. I’m far far far from being a prostitute seeing as my boyfriend is only the first person I slept with. I don’t know what to think. My boyfriend has said sorry but not the the extent that you would expect. He said that it’s just his friends dark sense of humour” he heard my parents say on the ohoe that they wanted to talk to him about it. I don’t know whether I should break up with him. I don’t want to be controlling and say that I don’t want him to be frends with him, so maybe we should just break up because you can tell a lot of a person by the friends that they keep......I’ve spoken about it but he just doesn’t say anything
Some women cease to amaze me.

Before some triggered folks enter, OP I'm gonna be blunt.
It's stupid to entertain the thought to dump your boyfriend because of HIS FRIENDS actions which he had no control over.

His friend obviously said it in a joking manner and if you're "20 years old and mature", why not just tell him that what he said you didn't find funny and you don't want him to do it again?

Infact no break up with him; in the long run I can see it being better for him. You will end up being the sort of person in a relationship to control who your partner sees/does.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Massive over reaction on your part.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
Massive over reaction on your part.

His friend called me a Thai prositute because I have brown skin?! Not an over reaction is it
Your boyfriend isn't at fault; his friend is. He didn't even need to apologise to you yet he did it anyway. He deleted it and that's all you should expect from him.

Breaking up because his friend made a rude joke would be silly.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
His friend called me a Thai prositute because I have brown skin?! Not an over reaction is it

His friend made a bad joke and now you're contemplating leaving him.

That's a (very childish) over reaction.
(edited 5 years ago)
It is his friend's actions, not your boyfriend's actions. Your boyfriend hasn't done nothing wrong and thus doesn't deserve to get dumped. You cannot control his friend, the best you can do is just ignore his friend.
I’ve met his best friend once and my first impression was great but I didn’t think he was actually a NASTY person. Long story short my boyfriend updated his cover photo to Facebook of a photo of me and him on holiday at a bar. All his family and other friends commented lovely stuff like cute” or lovely photo” or great couple” but his best friend commented last saying I didn’t know they had Thai Prostitutes over there” I didn’t actually see this comment but my dad did bevause my dad had previously commented on the photo and my dad had told me what the comment said. Rightly so my dad was furious and told me to tell my boyfriend. I told my boyfriend and he said he knew and that he deleted the commented. My parents are really disappointed as am I, bevause we are 20 years old and his immature best” friend made a rude comment. My mum thinks it’s racist. 1. I’m not Thai, I’m mixed race. And 2. I’m far far far from being a prostitute seeing as my boyfriend is only the first person I slept with. I don’t know what to think. My boyfriend has said sorry but not the the extent that you would expect. He said that it’s just his friends dark sense of humour” he heard my parents say on the ohoe that they wanted to talk to him about it. I don’t know whether I should break up with him. I don’t want to be controlling and say that I don’t want him to be frends with him, so maybe we should just break up because you can tell a lot of a person by the friends that they keep......I’ve spoken about it but he just doesn’t say anything

I’m few years older than you (getting married in February) and I personally think that even thinking of leaving your boyfriend because of what HIS friend wrote is very childish. He clearly knew how wrong it was if he deleted it. Do you have no feeling for him at all? As that how it sounds... And no, friends are not really a reflection of who you are as a person. Especially at this stage - they probably know each other since childhood/being teens. I had a lot of “friends” at school with whom I severed the ties now (I was absolutely petrified when one of them started saying praises for Trump and his stupid wall idea!). The point is, she didn’t ALWAYS have such views.

On the other hand, my father is racist - I’m so, so ashamed of him... So glad that my fiancé doesn’t speak my native language because I wish I could disappear when he starts on some of his theories... He actually really likes my fiancé but if I was with someone else who would be hurt by what my father NOT my thinks, I’d hope that they’d tell me how upset they are and not just break up with me for views thar are as far away from my own as possible.

Also, one of my best friend’s and a bridesmaid’s has a partner of Nigerian origin. Absolutely adore them both, as individuals and as a couple. Of course, they’re both invited for my wedding. I’ve already warned my dad that if he even starts to make any stupid comment, he’ll get kicked out of the wedding. Simple.

But if you’re thinking of breaking up, then maybe you should do it. If you really loved and cared about him, that wouldn’t even be a thought.
It would be so childish on your part if you dumped your boyfriend
What everyone else put it right. Best part is it’s not even racist. If he called you a piece of **** because you’re Thai, that would be racist. But the fact he purposefully got your race wrong and said nothing derogatory about that race, it isn’t racist. I could call someone a white prostitute, doesn’t mean I’m being remotely racist. What has the world come to?

Oh btw, I think you should dump your bf because he deserves someone who doesn’t breakdown over one silly joke.
Reply 10
TSR seriously needs to lock threads that have no responses after a month, let alone a year...
Original post by Xarao
TSR seriously needs to lock threads that have no responses after a month, let alone a year...

Oh **** yeah I didn’t even notice 😂. This is a major necro.
Reply 12
Oh **** yeah I didn’t even notice 😂. This is a major necro.

Not your fault buddy, just so confused why they haven't implemented it yet.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah, I feel sorry for the guy who wrote an essay above lol
Original post by Xarao
Not your fault buddy, just so confused why they haven't implemented it yet.
Reply 14
Original post by Huckipity
Yeah, I feel sorry for the guy who wrote an essay above lol

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I just saw that.
what a knob ! i’m so sorry that happened to you :frown: it’s of course not your boyfriend’s fault that his friend said that but for him to stand behind his friend and not stand by you is bad. you deserve better than him!

Latest

Trending

Trending