The Student Room Group

AQA A Level biology paper 3 18th June

These are the topics that haven’t came up yet so are worth revising for paper 3.
I just quickly noted these down so let me know if any have already came up
Cell structure/organelles
Microscopes SEM TEM
RNA structure
Phagocytosis
HIV/AIDS
Elisa test (Antibodies have came up already)
Gas exchange in fish/insects
Digestion/absorption
Transpiration?
Cardiac cycle
The Bohr effect
Nitrogen/carbon/phosphorus cycle
Tropisms
Resting potential, nerve impulse
Control of the heart rate
Muscles
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for this! I think some stuff on nerve impulses have already come up, but I’ve been looking everywhere for this list!
Reply 2
Original post by erin-lucy28
Thank you for this! I think some stuff on nerve impulses have already come up, but I’ve been looking everywhere for this list!

It’s ok, I needed one too so just made one myself I wasn’t too sure on nerve impulses but it was things like the sodium potassium pump and working from the graphs haven’t came up x
plus translocation
Reply 4
This is a good list. I think there may be some stuff on homeostasis and possibly more on the kidney. Anyone got predictions for the essay?
Original post by jessica33xx
These are the topics that haven’t came up yet so are worth revising for paper 3.
I just quickly noted these down so let me know if any have already came up
Cell structure/organelles
Microscopes SEM TEM
RNA structure
Phagocytosis
HIV/AIDS
Elisa test (Antibodies have came up already)
Gas exchange in fish/insects
Digestion/absorption
Transpiration?
Cardiac cycle
The Bohr effect
Nitrogen/carbon/phosphorus cycle
Tropisms
Resting potential, nerve impulse
Control of the heart rate
Muscles

Yeh I agree, I also think: blood glucose control, speciation, ecosystems and populations, structure of the heart, biological molecules tests, topic 8B with all of the genetic engineering/dna fragment/probey stuff
Original post by Bhavvy
This is a good list. I think there may be some stuff on homeostasis and possibly more on the kidney. Anyone got predictions for the essay?

Quite a lot of people reckon cycles might come up again (last time 2011), I also think hormones is a good shout (uses lots of topics not covered BUT it might not be broad enough) - you got any ideas?
Reply 7
Mabye something on atp or inorganic ions?
thanks guys im not sure i have a feeling water will come up as an essay -hope u guys do well xx
Reply 9
Original post by Bhavvy

In my college we have a digestion booklet and nothing has came up on that booklet yet so it might be one to do with internal processes or something linked to that
My bio teacher sent us a message of topics still to be covered, they're pretty much in line w yours! Have a look:

Topics that have not been covered yet (e.g. for paper 3);
biological molecules (sugars, starch glycogen etc)
ATP
water
microscopes
prokaryotic
eukaryotic cell structure
digestion
absorption (enzymes, active transport, cotransport etc),

Big topics still not covered; Blood
circulation
heart
haemoglobin
respiration (ETC)
nitrogen cycle
response to stimuli (cardiac cycle, plant hormones, responses)
action potentials
blood sugar control
diabetes
speciation
Original post by miserabledoll
My bio teacher sent us a message of topics still to be covered, they're pretty much in line w yours! Have a look:

Topics that have not been covered yet (e.g. for paper 3);
biological molecules (sugars, starch glycogen etc)
ATP
water
microscopes
prokaryotic
eukaryotic cell structure
digestion
absorption (enzymes, active transport, cotransport etc),

Big topics still not covered; Blood
circulation
heart
haemoglobin
respiration (ETC)
nitrogen cycle
response to stimuli (cardiac cycle, plant hormones, responses)
action potentials
blood sugar control
diabetes
speciation

Thank you, mine was just a rough one from memory x
Original post by Bhavvy

i think the essay may be on the importance of gradients ( e.g. pressure gradients, water potential gradients etc.)
Reply 13
On the specimen paper one of the questions is the importance of movement in living organisms. I feel like that fits in because it relates to many topics that have not come up yet. Does anyone think they'll put a question on the specimen paper on the exam though?
Original post by Mk1237
On the specimen paper one of the questions is the importance of movement in living organisms. I feel like that fits in because it relates to many topics that have not come up yet. Does anyone think they'll put a question on the specimen paper on the exam though?

I doubt they'll put a question that has been asked already :frown:....
Reply 15
If the essay was ‘the importance of ATP’ what would you talk about? I know it sounds so obvious but when you think about it, it’s hard to think of 5 big topics regarding ATP you can talk about (or maybe it’s just me)
How long would you guys recommend to spend on the essay at the end?
Reply 17
2 sentence intro..
1. The fundamental process of mitosis and meiosis (both require ATP)
2. segway into the formation of proteins, then the importance of ATP in carrier proteins to move substances across membranes)
3. Importance of ATP in respiration (ATP required in the phosphorylation of glucose in glycolysis)
4. importance of ATP in synapses (reforming acetyl choline requires ATP)
5. segway to muscle contractions (ATP needed to bend myosin head, and to break myosin-actin attachment then bring it back to original place)
..then conclusion
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joban4
If the essay was ‘the importance of ATP’ what would you talk about? I know it sounds so obvious but when you think about it, it’s hard to think of 5 big topics regarding ATP you can talk about (or maybe it’s just me)

I think there's quite a lot you can talk about for ATP:
Photosynthesis
Respiration
Kidneys (active transport of Na+ in Loop of Henle)
Muscle contraction
Synapses
Co-Transport
Phloem/Translocation
Reply 19
Original post by anonymousDan123
How long would you guys recommend to spend on the essay at the end?

An hour

Quick Reply