The Student Room Group

Applying for essay competitions?

I am really considering applying to Cambridge next year, for either history or land economy. I am trying to decide whether to enter two essay competitions which have their deadlines in July. One is for history run by a college at Cambridge, and the other is the young economist of the year competition. I realise I have left it a bit late, but was just wondering if it is worth me entering. I am prepared to put a lot of time into it over the next few weeks but understand they are highly competitive and wonder if there is any point if I don't have a chance of winning. I am targeted As and received A in history and A* in economics in my mocks, but I am worried these competitions are always dominated by private school students with incredible access to resources and therefore I would stand no chance. Would I be better off putting my time into something else to help my uni application? Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by poppym820
I am really considering applying to Cambridge next year, for either history or land economy. I am trying to decide whether to enter two essay competitions which have their deadlines in July. One is for history run by a college at Cambridge, and the other is the young economist of the year competition. I realise I have left it a bit late, but was just wondering if it is worth me entering. I am prepared to put a lot of time into it over the next few weeks but understand they are highly competitive and wonder if there is any point if I don't have a chance of winning. I am targeted As and received A in history and A* in economics in my mocks, but I am worried these competitions are always dominated by private school students with incredible access to resources and therefore I would stand no chance. Would I be better off putting my time into something else to help my uni application? Thanks

Even just entering the competitions would give you a good experience to write about, although obviously winning would be preferable. I'd say enter and give it your best shot and the worst that happens is you don't win, and even then you've still had a good practice at writing a high level essay which is always good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I’m in the same sort of situation, not having known anything about essay competitions or how they work and applying to whatever ones happen to still be open now. I think definitely do it, you’d still have a couple more months to work on your personal statement, and even if you don’t win putting on your personal statement that you applied is impressive, it shows you enjoy the subject and engage in it

Quick Reply

Latest