Why is St.Andrews rated so highly in the UK? Watch

username3911170
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Some people would put them at an equal level to LSE, Imperial, UCL. Can someone please tell me why is that?
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s highly prestigious. Plus it’s amazing in English and social sciences. And there’s Prince William being a alumni.
heyitsmika
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I don’t really understand it either haha

Aberdeen Uni has also just surpassed St Andrews, according to the Times Higher Education Ranking and a lot of people speak rather negatively about St Andrews.
mediclyfe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
After visiting st. Andrews I don't quite understand either. Personally I found that studying there would be very limiting. It's rife with Americans (not that it's a bad thing), small and cramped and really dull. I see where it's prestige comes from, but I don't understand why it's rated so highly in terms of academics, when lots of other unis surpass it by a great deal and it's offerings are so minimal.
ScotBank16
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by samiontheroad)
I don’t really understand it either haha

Aberdeen Uni has also just surpassed St Andrews, according to the Times Higher Education Ranking and a lot of people speak rather negatively about St Andrews.
lmaoo you're delusional if you think Aberdeen is actually better than St Andrews in any way.

The university produces stronger research (40.4% of research is world-leading, placing it 11th in the UK compared with Aberdeen's 29.9% placing it 44th), it attracts more academically capable students at entry and is therefore more selective as shown by its lower offer rate, and its graduates are more successful in the job market, particularly in competitive industries such as IB, Consulting and Corporate Law.

There's a reason why it's consistently placed in the top 5 of all domestic rankings with >90% of subjects placed in the top 10, its graduates earn a significant premium over Aberdeen grads and why the institution performs stronger financially than Aberdeen which has been running a deficit for the past few years.

You focus on the sole ranking which places Aberdeen 8 places above St Andrews; when the QS places St Andrews 75 places above Aberdeen, The Guardian places St Andrews 48 places above Aberdeen and both The CUG and The Times/Sunday Times places St Andrews 23 places above Aberdeen.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ScotBank16)
lmaoo you're delusional if you think Aberdeen is actually better than St Andrews in any way.

The university produces stronger research (40.4% of research is world-leading, placing it 11th in the UK compared with Aberdeen's 29.9% placing it 44th), it attracts more academically capable students at entry and is therefore more selective as shown by its lower offer rate, and its graduates are more successful in the job market, particularly in competitive industries such as IB, Consulting and Corporate Law.

There's a reason why it's consistently placed in the top 5 of all domestic rankings with >90% of subjects placed in the top 10, its graduates earn a significant premium over Aberdeen grads and why the institution performs stronger financially than Aberdeen which has been running a deficit for the past few years.

You focus on the sole ranking which places Aberdeen 8 places above St Andrews; when the QS places St Andrews 75 places above Aberdeen, The Guardian places St Andrews 48 places above Aberdeen and both The CUG and The Times/Sunday Times places St Andrews 23 places above Aberdeen.
But is it as good as the other top unis like UCL, Imperial, LSE etc.?
mediclyfe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
But is it as good as the other top unis like UCL, Imperial, LSE etc.?
No, it's definitely not on their level.
sus6778
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mediclyfe)
No, it's definitely not on their level.
I think if you look at teaching quality and student satisfaction St Andrews is as good as top London unis. However obviously because St Andrews is a very small university in comparison to UCL, LSE etc the research power of St Andrews is perhaps not as good as them.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Historically it has been, and people are always guilty of judging things based on what they once heard, rather than keeping themselves up to date.

It's undeniably 'up there', though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.42%
It's just nice to be back! (180)
27.27%
Not great so far... (238)
36.06%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.24%

Watched Threads