The Student Room Group

Alternative to language A-Level?

I'm half German and half French and am currently doing French GCSE and took my German in Year 9. At the moment I am continuing to self-study German (ie. grammar, vocabulary) and would like to get a higher level qualification in the language, but I don't want to study literature and films etc. because I'm already going to be doing time-intensive A-Levels and it's not really my thing.

Does anyone know of a language qualification, that is not A-Level but demonstrates you can speak to a high level?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
For German the main ones are DSH and TestDaF - both are academically oriented however. I believe either is used for visa application purposes however, and thus are suitably accepted to demonstrate appropriate proficiency in general I would imagine...

Neither is a qualification per se though, rather a proficiency test (like TOEFL or IELTS for English language), to my understanding - so if you take it now and in 20 years apply for a job/degree in Germany, you may need to retake it, and the providers of the test may not necessarily offer any tuition services (I think TestDaF is linked to some formal study programmes though).
Reply 3
@artful_lounger Thank you very much, this was useful and I will look into these qualifications!

Quick Reply

Latest