Pair who went on stabbing spree (with one fatality) get 22 and 27 years in prison Watch

ThomH97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Nathan Gilmaney and Troy Thomas spent four hours going around on a moped, robbing nine people at knifepoint and stabbing four of them, with Abdul Samad dying after being stabbed in the chest.

Gilmaney was given 27 years, with his lawyer claiming his ADHD and IQ of 'barely 60' made him go on this murderous rampage. Thomas was given 22 years, with his lawyer claimed he was just driving, so wasn't responsible for what his accomplice was doing. Thomas was actually on bail when he took part in the murder, and both have several previous convictions.

I don't think there is enough prison time to teach these two the value of human life. They were laughing and joking throughout the hearing, then hurled abuse after the sentences were given. The only reason they didn't kill more people was due to their greed to move onto their next target quickly. What do you think of this case?
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
I don't think there is enough prison time to teach these two the value of human life. They were laughing and joking throughout the hearing, then hurled abuse after the sentences were given. The only reason they didn't kill more people was due to their greed to move onto their next target quickly. What do you think of this case?
I think we should stop pretending that we send people to prison to "teach them the value of human life", and face up to the fact that imprisonment is mostly an act of revenge in the UK.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
I think we should stop pretending that we send people to prison to "teach them the value of human life", and face up to the fact that imprisonment is mostly an act of revenge in the UK.
So, you think it should be shorter?

Prison is for deterrent, prevention, punishment/revenge/justice (whatever you want to call it) and rehabilitation.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Seeing it as an act of revenge is, interesting.

Prison is intended to be a mixture of a punishment, and rehabilitation. However, taking dangerous people away from society is another key point.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
the guy with the normal IQ got the shorter sentence, did i get that right?

if true, WTF??? he's got more guilty mind than the other one.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
the guy with the normal IQ got the shorter sentence, did i get that right?

if true, WTF??? he's got more guilty mind than the other one.
The one whose lawyer didn't claim he had very low IQ was apparently 'just' the driver.
AngeryPenguin
Report 8 months ago
So, you think it should be shorter?

Prison is for deterrent, prevention, punishment/revenge/justice (whatever you want to call it) and rehabilitation.
Prisons can act as rehabilitation centres, but they usually don't.

People complain about the "far too lenient" prisons in Norway, for instance, despite being far better at rehabilitating prisoners.

Every other week on TSR there is a call for the death penalty in response to a crime, with the main counter argument being that a life prison sentence is better because it punishes them more.

27 years is more than enough time to teach people the value of life. 27 years of British prison, on the other hand, is just going to turn them into middle-aged killers when they are released.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
The one whose lawyer didn't claim he had very low IQ was apparently 'just' the driver.
yeah, the smarter guy was 'just' the driver? lol so smarter guy ushered his friend around so his low IQ friend could stab people. who is really responsible here?
ThomH97
Rep:
?

People complain about the "far too lenient" prisons in Norway, for instance, despite being far better at rehabilitating prisoners.

Every other week on TSR there is a call for the death penalty in response to a crime, with the main counter argument being that a life prison sentence is better because it punishes them more.

27 years is more than enough time to teach people the value of life. 27 years of British prison, on the other hand, is just going to turn them into middle-aged killers when they are released.
Are you saying there's no point ever releasing them because they'll simply continue?

(Original post by Joleee)
yeah, the smarter guy was 'just' the driver? lol so smarter guy ushered his friend around so his low IQ friend could stab people. who is really responsible here?
I see your point, but I'm not sure I believe the lawyer, and even then, the guy stabbing people is still the more immediately dangerous.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What a pity. Should have thought about that before going on a stabbing spree, no sympathy.
PetrolHead26
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A bit longer would do. They are not going to help the society in any way, so might else well be locked up. I hear they are fredo's boys
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
That's 27 years he won't be stabbing innocent people going about their business. What's not to like?
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Strike a deal with countries like Brazil to take some of our prisoners. Its cheaper and we'll soon see how hard they are when they get turned out hourly.
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Middle age people commit less crime than adults in there late teens to early 30s. A lot of criminals even murders grow out of commit crimes by the time they are middle age.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nathan Gilmaney and Troy Thomas spent four hours going around on a moped, robbing nine people at knifepoint and stabbing four of them, with Abdul Samad dying after being stabbed in the chest.

Gilmaney was given 27 years, with his lawyer claiming his ADHD and IQ of 'barely 60' made him go on this murderous rampage. Thomas was given 22 years, with his lawyer claimed he was just driving, so wasn't responsible for what his accomplice was doing. Thomas was actually on bail when he took part in the murder, and both have several previous convictions.

Why have you misrepresented their sentences? They were given life sentences with minimum terms of 27 and 22 years.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

So what solutions do you offer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads