Turn on thread page Beta

I need help from People who got an A or above in GCSE chemistry. watch

ReputationRep:
    My plan is to complete the course work, make notes while doing so. Then translate said notes into flashcards. I want to know, whether this plan is good if I wish to get an A? (the equivalent due to the 9-1 system). and side question. Would it be possible to get an A without doing experiments from the coursework? Tbh these questions are aimed for people who've done IGCSE chemistry and have got an A or above but no one answered my previous threads so I shall settle for this. Aprreciate all the help i get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringAccount)
    Please help.
    What do you need help with?

ReputationRep:
    What with? I believe you're on the new spec though right, I did my GCSEs two years ago, not last year so may be able to help less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiriamButcher)
    What do you need help with?
    Right, sorry bout that I just edited the thread with what I need help with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCArth)
    What with? I believe you're on the new spec though right, I did my GCSEs two years ago, not last year so may be able to help less.
    It's fine lad. I need all the help I can get regardless. Oh and I've just updated the thread with what I need help with.

ReputationRep:
    My plan is to complete the course work, make notes while doing so. Then translate said notes into flashcards. I want to know, whether this plan is good if I wish to get an A? (the equivalent due to the 9-1 system). and side question. Would it be possible to get an A without doing experiments from the coursework? Tbh these questions are aimed for people who've done IGCSE chemistry and have got an A or above but no one answered my previous threads so I shall settle for this. Aprreciate all the help i get.
    I’ll give advice based on the WJEC specification, but all exam boards in England and Wales examine in the same way. While you shouldn’t worry about the experiments, they should be done well to get an A. You can get quite easy marks from knowing basic scientific methods. Flashcards can be useful, but I find that writing up notes and doing past papers are the most effective forms of revision. Chemistry is very much centred around the application of knowledge, as well as the knowledge itself. You need to work and work until you understand everything, not just KNOW it.

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE last year and do Chemistry at Alevel. Hit me up if you need any help. I will be free now so can help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’ll give advice based on the WJEC specification, but all exam boards in England and Wales examine in the same way. While you shouldn’t worry about the experiments, they should be done well to get an A. You can get quite easy marks from knowing basic scientific methods. Flashcards can be useful, but I find that writing up notes and doing past papers are the most effective forms of revision. Chemistry is very much centred around the application of knowledge, as well as the knowledge itself. You need to work and work until you understand everything, not just KNOW it.
    How would it affect what you said, if i were to say that I don't have any practical exams?

ReputationRep:
    i did my gcses 2 years ago so unfortunately i don't know about the coursework but in my gcse i got an A* for chemistry and have almost finished my a levels exams in it, my advice would be making notes is pretty useless ( i found out the hard way ) but flashcards are amazing so definitely make them for all and do every single past paper you can find as well and you'll be able to get a very high grade very easily

ReputationRep:
    How would it affect what you said, if i were to say that I don't have any practical exams?
    Well if you don’t have practical exams, then they are irrelevant. Are you examined purely on written exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    I did GCSE last year and do Chemistry at Alevel. Hit me up if you need any help. I will be free now so can help
    are flash cards good for chemistry revision? - If not then please do recommend me a more efficient and suitable. seeing as though I don't have a practical exam, (as this is an IGCSE subject), would it be possible to secure an A without doing the experiments tailored to each topic in the coursework?- I fully understand that you did GCSE chemistry but as an educated guess please answer. I appreciate your time.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you don’t have practical exams, then they are irrelevant. Are you examined purely on written exams?
    Yup I just got two papers. But apparently there are gonna be questions that will need me to be knowledgeble of experiments. There is a specification if you wanna look at it.

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board is it? I got an A* in igcse edexcel chemistry 2 years ago, and am currently finishing exams in A level chemistry, with a predicted grade of A* if you need any help. The best advice I can give is making sure you understand all the topics thoroughly, and then make short summary cards on the topics you’re struggling with, with the essential facts you need to know. There’s no point in just copying out your notes onto flash cards, just summarise them - it’s faster and means you’re processing the information. You’ll find it will just stick in your head!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaflower100)
    Which exam board is it? I got an A* in igcse edexcel chemistry 2 years ago, and am currently finishing exams in A level chemistry, with a predicted grade of A* if you need any help. The best advice I can give is making sure you understand all the topics thoroughly, and then make short summary cards on the topics you’re struggling with, with the essential facts you need to know. There’s no point in just copying out your notes onto flash cards, just summarise them - it’s faster and means you’re processing the information. You’ll find it will just stick in your head!
    dude it seems I am in luck. I am currently on edexcel for Igcse chemistry. How do I summarise my notes? and would I be able to get away with not doing the experiments if I wanted an A?

I did Edexcel IGCSE chemistry and got an A, whats your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honey18)
    I did Edexcel IGCSE chemistry and got an A, whats your question?
    Right, so my questions are. Would I be able to get away with an A without completing experiments in the coursework? and are flashcards good for revision? I was thinking of copying notes onto flashcards. But hold up I got another problem I want that A for sure but I don't know how to approach the coursework, if you could help me with that also, I will be grateful. But I will settle for the first two questions being answered. Thanks for hooking me up.

ReputationRep:
    dude it seems I am in luck. I am currently on edexcel for Igcse chemistry. How do I summarise my notes? and would I be able to get away with not doing the experiments if I wanted an A?
    I'm not sure about the coursework, since we didn't have any coursework at gcse. I suggest checking the specification for your exam, it tells you exactly what topics you'll be assessed on and what you need to know for the experiments. I can send you the summary notes I made if you want? It was the process of making them that helped me though, so instead of copying them out, just use them as an example to make your own so you learn.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about the coursework, since we didn't have any coursework at gcse. I suggest checking the specification for your exam, it tells you exactly what topics you'll be assessed on and what you need to know for the experiments. I can send you the summary notes I made if you want? It was the process of making them that helped me though, so instead of copying them out, just use them as an example to make your own so you learn.
    I'll take you up on that. I would like those notes thank you. Oh and uh total noob question but where do I find all that in this spec
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/c..._ISS5_comb.PDF

ReputationRep:
    I'll take you up on that. I would like those notes thank you. Oh and uh total noob question but where do I find all that in this spec
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/c..._ISS5_comb.PDF
    There is no coursework for that spec! Check out pages 3-15 for a breakdown of all the topics.

ReputationRep:
    There is no coursework for that spec! Check out pages 3-15 for a breakdown of all the topics.
    Well that's strange, but then again I am a home school student so it's probably something to do with that. I mean why else would I have been sent this big folder with topics to go through and assignments. As for the last part thanks. In general I would give you another rep if I could but the student room ain't gonna let me.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.