The Student Room Group

Why do so many girls dislike football?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by rm715
I hate when people say 'it's pointless it's just running around on a field' and they've never actually been to a game. Everyone has different opinions about what is fun and what isn't, can't we just not knock each others' interests

I am a girl and it pisses me off when I get this shocked reaction when I mention anything to do with football. Yes I can name the entire Brighton squad and yes I know what the offside rule is, and yes I do happen to have a vagina - does that make me any less knowledgeable about football than my male counterparts? No. Does that mean I should be accused of 'trying to seem cool to the boys'? (yes someone did once say that to me) No. I've grown up in a family of die-hard football fans and I understand the attraction of the beautiful game, the community spirit of being part of something that brings together the most random selection of people, the excitement of seeing a team flourish after endless defeats, the highs, the lows, and everything in between. So no, It's not just men running round kicking a ball. And no, it isn't because I find them sexually attractive (I personally find that quite insulting to suggest, do women not have the intellectual ability to watch sport for reasons other than the attractiveness of the players?)

I agree.

That's great.

And I didn't say that was the only reason for girls to watch. It was just another reason for why it baffles me that it appeals to so few. Especially when many young girls do favour certain celebrities/singers/reality stars for their looks.

Even I admire their beauty though.
Reply 41
Original post by 8ee
probably cause women don't have as many famous female footballers to aspire to as men have

Maybe. I don't want to be a footballer though and I still love it.
Reply 42
Original post by petalsunrise
I do enjoy it and get really into it, especially the world cup. but women wouldn't really watch it for the hot men because A. the game is interesting in itself and B. it's ridiculous to call them sexy coz they are dumb as foik, just listen when they are interviewed "at the end of the day it's a game of two halves ya kno what i means. someone's got to win, someone's go to lose, ya knoe what I means. unless it's draw ya knoe? de ya get me"

I didn't say it was the main reason for women watching. It was just an additional point.

'When they don't score, they hardly ever win'
I'm a guy and I would quite literally rather count ripples in water than watch football. The most soul-wrenchingly boring thing I could ever imagine is watching some people kick a ball for 90 minutes. No thanks. :dontknow:
Reply 44
Original post by evisu
Maybe. I don't want to be a footballer though and I still love it.

yes, but you like the actual sport
some football fans go crazy over the footballers
i dont really like watching football but playing football is well chill
i think its the early stereotype on how boys are pushed towards football young whilst girls aren't given that push (think its changing now but still)
Cos people dont put their football threads in the Football forum :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by susu66s
Ronnie who

Ronnie O'Sullivan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2rFMPN9js

off topic with snooker but you might enjoy.
Reply 47
Original post by CoolCavy
Cos people dont put their football threads in the Football forum :smile:

The relationship forum attracts more females and has more traffic in general. If I put it in the football forum I would have attracted football fans.
Reply 48
I like playing sports, it get's my endorphins going! I love to do any kind of sport, it's exhilarating. But why would anyone enjoy watching it?

I like food but I don't watch people eat food?? I like playing video games and I like watching people play video games because they have good commentary.

Enjoyment can be explained by the release of dopamine, one of the chemicals associated with happiness in our brains. The reason why I don't enjoy it is because dopamine doesn't get released when I watch football. Why does dopamine release for you then?

You watched it when you were younger and you saw that your family members getting excited at each goal, so this created neurones in your brain that cause you to become happy when you watch football too. As a child, we learn what is supposed to make us happy from our family members. Mirror neurones are involved in our ability to learn by association and how we feel empathy for another. If you cry, mirror neurones will let up in my head and it will feel like I am experiencing you cry. Mirror neurones explain why you have imitated your family member's expressions of happiness every time you watch a football match and they also allow you to experience the game to some degree as if you were actually there and participating in it.

Girls don't experience enjoyment because they haven't developed the mirror neurones to empathise with the enjoyment of playing it. Research has shown that people are less likely to imitate behaviour and as a result enjoy observing it if they feel like they can't identify with the role model. In this case, all footballers are guys so therefore, not many girls will feel like they can identify. Many girls may not end up enjoying football because they were discouraged from learning to empathise with the enjoyment of it as a result of their parents for example.
(edited 5 years ago)
y is it just generalising girls. loads of people hate football even guys. i mean i like football and i would only watch the main matches like england playing. i wouldnt waste my time watching f****** iran and morroco.
Original post by evisu
The relationship forum attracts more females and has more traffic in general. If I put it in the football forum I would have attracted football fans.

yet your thread was in chat :beard:
yet your thread was in chat :beard:

I moved it :tongue:

it doesn't belong in relationships but It also isn't meant for football
Original post by Jack22031994
I moved it :tongue:

Well i moved it to football since it's about football

Pass the parcel!

But moved it to chat as I think the topic is best placed there
Original post by Jack22031994
Pass the parcel!

But moved it to chat as I think the topic is best placed there

I disagree.
I disagree.

Thats fine!
Reply 56

Putting it in a more general forum attracts a wider range of opinions. I'm not looking for responses from football fans who live in the football area of TSR, I was looking for responses from girls who dislike football.
Reply 57
Original post by crumps
I like playing sports, it get's my endorphins going! I love to do any kind of sport, it's exhilarating. But why would anyone enjoy watching it?

I like food but I don't watch people eat food?? I like playing video games and I like watching people play video games because they have good commentary.

Enjoyment can be explained by the release of dopamine, one of the chemicals associated with happiness in our brains. The reason why I don't enjoy it is because dopamine doesn't get released when I watch football. Why does dopamine release for you then?

You watched it when you were younger and you saw that your family members getting excited at each goal, so this created neurones in your brain that cause you to become happy when you watch football too. As a child, we learn what is supposed to make us happy from our family members. Mirror neurones are involved in our ability to learn by association and how we feel empathy for another. If you cry, mirror neurones will let up in my head and it will feel like I am experiencing you cry. Mirror neurones explain why you have imitated your family member's expressions of happiness every time you watch a football match and they also allow you to experience the game to some degree as if you were actually there and participating in it.

Girls don't experience enjoyment because they haven't developed the mirror neurones to empathise with the enjoyment of playing it. Research has shown that people are less likely to imitate behaviour and as a result enjoy observing it if they feel like they can't identify with the role model. In this case, all footballers are guys so therefore, not many girls will feel like they can identify. Many girls may not end up enjoying football because they were discouraged from learning to empathise with the enjoyment of it as a result of their parents for example.

You've just pulled that out of your arse but I appreciate the attempt.
Its because girls have never been encouraged to take part in it, whilst boys have been from a young age so they aren't as enthusiastic about it.
Reply 59
Original post by evisu
You've just pulled that out of your arse but I appreciate the attempt.

what do you mean? :lol:

Do you have a better explanation? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest