Are 5x5 programmes the best FOR ME?

Watch
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I prefer muscle size over muscle strength.

I would just be happy with 100kg bench press, 100kg squat.

My situation...:

Started going to the gym when I was 16 and I am now 19. Generally consistent with a few breaks consisting of about 3-5months. A lot of my training was programmes such as stronglifts 5x5. With some months where I did PushPullLegs.

Anyways my gains weren't that impressive, because I started out with very little muscle, poor technique that has developed to be good now after years of practice, and not knowing how to eat enough (now I do). So I plataeud a lot and in some cases strength went backwards.

Game changer was in late December when I learnt how to eat properly, and squat form improved a lot . Lifts went from 60kg on squat to 95kg in 3months, and 50kg bench to 75kg. Weight from 69kg to 79kg in 3months (dirty bulk).

Reasons why I don't want to do 5x5 - don't think it will give me the physique I want (not enough volume). Worried that I am preety much going to get injured one day. Don't care much about lifting heavy, and I wanna focus more on getting a v-taper. Also I have been doing this for 3 years I don't think its gonna be as good because its a beginner programe.

Reasons why I am not too sure about other programmes like PPL - I have done it in the past and progression seems impossible. I want to look good but I don't want to be in a position where my bench press goes down each time I do it.

Need some advice - i am willing to learn
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At 79kg, 75kg bench and 95kg squat is still beginner (no deadlift?). You want to be a beginner as long as you can, it's not an insult or something, because beginners get the quickest gains. So stick to beginner programmes for as long as you still see results. If you're not seeing results then part of that in the past might have been your age. Most people will hit the point where they can gain muscle like an adult around 16-18 and like you said you have to learn to eat. You also do need to deload sometimes, you won't get linear progress 100% of the time and you want to go through this a good few times

To give you some comparison, I started lifting properly when I was 21, I weighed about 62kg and had went up from about 57kg just pissing about in the gym and with weights at home. The first work outs were 30kg bench 5x5 and 40kg squat 5x5. I quit 5x5 sooner than I should of and only did it Nov to March but I ended on 100kg squat and 72.5kg bench at 66kg bodyweight. That's pretty standard noob progress.

Anyways, gaining strength is still useful and you probably want a programme which starts on some strength work then the rest is more bodybuilding focused. Ice cream fitness 5x5 or this are good options. But think about diet too, if you just get fat you won't have a V and don't use bulking as an excuse to eat like ****, healthy eating does matter.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
At 79kg, 75kg bench and 95kg squat is still beginner (no deadlift?). You want to be a beginner as long as you can, it's not an insult or something, because beginners get the quickest gains. So stick to beginner programmes for as long as you still see results. If you're not seeing results then part of that in the past might have been your age. Most people will hit the point where they can gain muscle like an adult around 16-18 and like you said you have to learn to eat. You also do need to deload sometimes, you won't get linear progress 100% of the time and you want to go through this a good few times

To give you some comparison, I started lifting properly when I was 21, I weighed about 62kg and had went up from about 57kg just pissing about in the gym and with weights at home. The first work outs were 30kg bench 5x5 and 40kg squat 5x5. I quit 5x5 sooner than I should of and only did it Nov to March but I ended on 100kg squat and 72.5kg bench at 66kg bodyweight. That's pretty standard noob progress.

Anyways, gaining strength is still useful and you probably want a programme which starts on some strength work then the rest is more bodybuilding focused. Ice cream fitness 5x5 or this are good options. But think about diet too, if you just get fat you won't have a V and don't use bulking as an excuse to eat like ****, healthy eating does matter.
Thanks dude Deadlift is only at 105kg

Idk i feel like I’ve lost my noob gains. I add 1.25kg to each side of the squat each time and last time I just about got literally had to give it my 101%. Also so I came back from a 3 week break from gym and I feel like my bench has plateaued at 70kg. As I failed last set (needed a spotter) while 2 other sets were good.

Diet I limit my sugar no more chocolate etc, and no more fast food. Except on a cheat day. I eat either oats or an omelette sandwich for breakfast, make sure I have peanut butter through the day and also have to have rice or pasta for clean carbs.

Also I’m about 16-18% body fat so I really need to clean bulk (I’ve always been skinny fat)
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Thanks dude Deadlift is only at 105kg

Idk i feel like I’ve lost my noob gains. I add 1.25kg to each side of the squat each time and last time I just about got literally had to give it my 101%. Also so I came back from a 3 week break from gym and I feel like my bench has plateaued at 70kg. As I failed last set (needed a spotter) while 2 other sets were good.

Diet I limit my sugar no more chocolate etc, and no more fast food. Except on a cheat day. I eat either oats or an omelette sandwich for breakfast, make sure I have peanut butter through the day and also have to have rice or pasta for clean carbs.

Also I’m about 16-18% body fat so I really need to clean bulk (I’ve always been skinny fat)
Not sure I totally follow you on your second para

You got it but it felt like 101%? That's fine. I remember doing 5x5 squats and each set feeling killer, I do one and not be sure how I could do that 4 more times. Still did it and increased the next week.

Took 3 weeks off and one of your first sessions back you can't progress from where you were? That's normal. I'd have taken 5-7.5kg off where I was before and started again from there

Remember fruit and veg too
UchihaMadara
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I started off with 5x5 but I wouldn't advise beginners to do that - it just leads to bulking for the majority and improper form being dialled in. I would transition to Greyskull - it's natural to transition this from 5x5 and in my view is great because it incorporates periodization in a simplistic way.

https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/greyskull-lp/

Link above has all the information you need, I presume x3 per week frequency is good for you. Your still a beginner which I base off purely from strength numbers but this program is certainly good enough to get you to your goals. Try filming your form and getting others to possibly advice you on what you can do better - FORM is KING.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4853194
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
FAQ

You are still a noob lifter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads