The Student Room Group

Access Course Study & Discussion Thread **2018-2019**

Following the success of last year's thread, we are pleased to bring you this year's rendition of the Access Course Study & Discussion Thread! :yay:

Use this thread to connect with other access students, share tips, and support each other on what can be a challenging course. :grouphugs:

So, who's starting an Access course this September? Here's a quick template to get you started.

Name:
Access Pathway:
Hoping to study:

Check out the Mature Students 2019 University Applicants thread to discuss university and the applications process.

Also check out the Mature Student's Chat to chat to mature students on other courses, or who are already at uni!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Name: wonderuss
Access pathway: Social Sciences and Humanities
Hoping to study: Not completely sure yet, but a social science or philosophy.
Age: 19 (just thought i'd add this to hopefully get to know other 19 y/o's doing the access course :smile:
Name:*Sarah
Access Pathway:*access to health
Hoping to study: social work
Name: Amanda
Access Pathway: Computing and Electronics
Hoping to study: Computer Science

Good luck, everyone :smile:
Name: Alice
Access Pathway: Psychology and Counselling
Hoping to study: Criminal Justice and Criminology

Anyone done any uni open days yet?
Original post by missyp2404
Name: Alice
Access Pathway: Psychology and Counselling
Hoping to study: Criminal Justice and Criminology

Anyone done any uni open days yet?

I’ve been to Anglia Ruskin - It was good, I thought. Going to Kent open day in a couple of weeks time :smile:

Have you?
Original post by Amanda101
I’ve been to Anglia Ruskin - It was good, I thought. Going to Kent open day in a couple of weeks time :smile:

Have you?

Went to Uni of Hertfordshire yesterday. I really like the campus and the staff were great. Its my closest and most practical so im glad i like it lol
Will be looking at Anglia Ruskin and possibly Middlesex to keep options open but don't think they are on until October!
Went to Uni of Hertfordshire yesterday. I really like the campus and the staff were great. Its my closest and most practical so im glad i like it lol
Will be looking at Anglia Ruskin and possibly Middlesex to keep options open but don't think they are on until October!

Good to hear you enjoyed Hertfordshire!

ARU sounds similar- I went for the open day last weekend and the staff and students were very friendly and helpful
Good Evening! I will be starting an Access course in Health and Social Care with the hope to study occupational therapy at university.

Mature Student - 23.

Good luck to you all!
Reply 9
Name: Leanne
Access Pathway: Social Science or Science
Hoping to study: Psychology or social work
Hello, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have been accepted into an access course for social science with the intention of doing social work at uni but I have friends who are struggling with the work and the whole you can’t have your own beliefs and values, which they battle with in their own home life. So as my other interest is psychology I was looking into this degree. I have contacted one of the unis and they have said they will only accept a science access not the social science access. I’m confused though as on my college info on the social science access it does state it will with progression onto either social work or psychology. Have others got into uni on the psychology course based on a social science access?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Leanne80
Name: Leanne
Access Pathway: Social Science or Science
Hoping to study: Psychology or social work
Hello, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have been accepted into an access course for social science with the intention of doing social work at uni but I have friends who are struggling with the work and the whole you can’t have your own beliefs and values, which they battle with in their own home life. So as my other interest is psychology I was looking into this degree. I have contacted one of the unis and they have said they will only accept a science access not the social science access. I’m confused though as on my college info on the social science access it does state it will with progression onto either social work or psychology. Have others got into uni on the psychology course based on a social science access?

You definitely can get into psychology with a social science access (psychology is a social science), but of course, all uni's preferences/requirements are different and some psychology courses are more science-focused than others, so I would call up each uni that I want to apply to and ask if the social science access is fine for psychology at their uni.
Original post by wonderuss
You definitely can get into psychology with a social science access (psychology is a social science), but of course, all uni's preferences/requirements are different and some psychology courses are more science-focused than others, so I would call up each uni that I want to apply to and ask if the social science access is fine for psychology at their uni.

Thank you I appreciate your reply. I did think this myself but the one uni has said no definitely just science and I’m waiting on the other. It’s not a problem changing, I don’t think, I was just concerned that it would be too late to apply for the science access as I’ve already been accepted onto the social science one. Also, I guess I was hoping if I did stay on the social science access that it would still keep the social work degree option open for me as well.
Soo many decisions!!
Guys is it true that some universities don't accept online access courses?

Glad you liked it! If you have any questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Heather

Hello,

Come and visit us on the 7th of October :smile:

You can book your place here: www.mdx.ac.uk/opendays

What course are you interested in?

Have a great day!
Ludovica
Original post by Middlesex University
Hello,

Come and visit us on the 7th of October :smile:

You can book your place here: www.mdx.ac.uk/opendays

What course are you interested in?

Have a great day!
Ludovica

I will do :biggrin:
The Criminology courses either Youth Justice or Criminal Justice :smile:
I will do :biggrin:
The Criminology courses either Youth Justice or Criminal Justice :smile:

Great!

That sounds very interesting :smile:
Let me know if you have questions about the course.

See you in October.

Ludovica
Name: Kayleigh
Access Pathway: History
Hoping to study: Ancient History or Classics

I'm doing my course distance learning, and hoping to go to uni full time next September. My access course starts in August, though! So far looking at UCL, Durham, Birmingham, Exeter, and Warwick - anyone else looking to do Classics or Ancient History?
Name: LorfFifth
Access Pathway: Engineering
Hoping to study: Computer science
I'm also going to do an intensive 1 year maths A-level as some universities have included it in their requirements for computer science.
HI!

I was wondering if anyone has done a distance learning access course with Central college for education or if anyone has had any experience with them. I want to do biological science access course but i'm not sure if they are trustworthy as the course is only 1,200 pounds and not 3,000.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest