The Student Room Group

Access Course Study & Discussion Thread **2018-2019**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by sleepingsunshine
Has anyone started yet? I'm starting my course next week and just wondering if you're thrown in at the deep end.

I can't speak for any other college of course but for mine, absolutely not. I'm on a science course and in maths we literally started with addition...

Does anyone else in this thread desire to do medicine? I do but man the path from an access course to that seems very difficult, unless it's an access to medicine course but sadly that wasn't really an option for me.

Name: James
Access pathway: Access to Science
Hoping to study: Medicine (eventually, though I'm thinking I'll need to take out an extra year or two to get what I need after this course)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sidian
I can't speak for any other college of course but for mine, absolutely not. I'm on a science course and in maths we literally started with addition...

Does anyone else in this thread desire to do medicine? I do but man the path from an access course to that seems very difficult, unless it's an access to medicine course but sadly that wasn't really an option for me.

Name: James
Access pathway: Access to Science
Hoping to study: Medicine (eventually, though I'm thinking I'll need to take out an extra year or two to get what I need after this course)

Maybe doing a biochem degree (or similar) and then going into GEM might be an option?
Has anyone started yet? I'm starting my course next week and just wondering if you're thrown in at the deep end.

Hey Sleepingsunshine,

Finished a full first week of my Access Course and from my experience they ease you in quite gently.

Going over what future assignments will be, grading systems, introductions to basic principles and a few small bits of homework (nothing graded).

There's a real mixture of people who have come straight from another form of education and those who've had a big break from it on my course and I think the lecturers are really mindful of getting everyone on the same page.

Wouldn't worry about being thrown in at the deep end, the first few weeks are about getting to grips with it all.

Hope that helps! Loads of luck for your first week x
Reply 183
Original post by AmeliaLost
Maybe doing a biochem degree (or similar) and then going into GEM might be an option?

Yeah that's probably my current plan. Unfortunately, I've heard GEM is even harder/more competitive than getting into Medicine the normal route. So maybe it'd be better just to take a year or two off or defer instead of trying that. It's really hard to know.
Name: Sajida
Access Pathway: People, Work and Society
Hoping to study: Psychology and Counselling (Hons)

I've just signed myself up for the access module with the Open University! Kind of excited and kind of nervous as I haven't studied in a loooong time.
Good luck to everyone!
(edited 5 years ago)
Name: Jamie
Access Pathway: Access to Science
Hoping to study: Chemistry or Biology
Original post by A20065
Name: Aisha
Access pathway: Access to Health
Hoping to study: Midwifery

Anyone who completed A-levels and coming straight onto an access course. Do universities accept students who had bad A-levels and then did an access course to compensate for that?

No, absolutely not. Access courses are not designed to attempt to redeem a poor result in A levels, particularly when the Access course follows hot on the heels of the A levels. You'd need to carefully check with the universities you're interested in that the original A level results would allow you to apply, Access course or no Access course.
Original post by Reality Check
No, absolutely not. Access courses are not designed to attempt to redeem a poor result in A levels, particularly when the Access course follows hot on the heels of the A levels. You'd need to carefully check with the universities you're interested in that the original A level results would allow you to apply, Access course or no Access course.

But quite a lot of people on my course are 18 going to be 19. When I spoke to the admission tutor at my college she said that most people are in the same boat as you. So I find that most people are 18 going to be 19?
Original post by A20065
But quite a lot of people on my course are 18 going to be 19. When I spoke to the admission tutor at my college she said that most people are in the same boat as you. So I find that most people are 18 going to be 19?

I spoke to the head of Access at my college; as well as several RG universities about this. They all said they consider Access as equal to A levels and would judge you based on your performance in that, not any past qualification.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Salieri
I spoke to the head of Access at my college; as well as several RG universities about this. They all said they consider Access as equal to A levels and would judge you based on your performance in that, not any past qualification.

Hope that helps!

Yes, thank you. I also got this answer when I went for my enrolment at the college that I go to. So all is good. Thank you!! Quick question are you doing an access course?
Original post by A20065

I reiterate - you must check with the universities you're thinking of applying to whether or not (a) they will accept an Access course as an entry qualification to the course you're applying to and (b) the implication of having these poor A levels and how they will be considered alongside any further qualification you obtain, such as Access.

I also reiterate that Access courses are not designed to be some route by which you can redeem a poor A level performance. The route for that, ordinarily, is a retake(s). Access courses are designed as an entry qualification for those who have been out of education for some time and who wish to study at University, or for those whose A Levels were a long time ago and who need to show preparation and evidence of recent study. Alternatively, some Access to Health/Science/Medicine courses are good for those who've done the wrong A levels (again, usually some time ago) and want to take a different direction.
I reiterate - you must check with the universities you're thinking of applying to whether or not (a) they will accept an Access course as an entry qualification to the course you're applying to and (b) the implication of having these poor A levels and how they will be considered alongside any further qualification you obtain, such as Access.

I also reiterate that Access courses are not designed to be some route by which you can redeem a poor A level performance. The route for that, ordinarily, is a retake(s). Access courses are designed as an entry qualification for those who have been out of education for some time and who wish to study at University, or for those whose A Levels were a long time ago and who need to show preparation and evidence of recent study. Alternatively, some Access to Health/Science/Medicine courses are good for those who've done the wrong A levels (again, usually some time ago) and want to take a different direction.

I personally checked with top universities such as Birmingham, UCL, Manchester and Bristol. All of them said they consider the Access course to be no 'lesser' than A-levels, and that they consider it on an equal basis. If you want to be extra sure, don't mention the bad results on your personal statement, simply praise the Access course and point out specifically how it benefited you and what strengths you've gained from doing it.

Original post by A20065
Yes, thank you. I also got this answer when I went for my enrolment at the college that I go to. So all is good. Thank you!! Quick question are you doing an access course?

I am! Starting on the 19th, doing Access to Humanities :smile: I'm going straight from AS levels, but I didn't get bad grades. Just felt Access would be better.
(edited 5 years ago)
Name: Madison
Access pathway: Nursing
Hoping to study: Child Nursing
Original post by Salieri
I personally checked with top universities such as Birmingham, UCL, Manchester and Bristol. All of them said they consider the Access course to be no 'lesser' than A-levels, and that they consider it on an equal basis. If you want to be extra sure, don't mention the bad results on your personal statement, simply praise the Access course and point out specifically how it benefited you and what strengths you've gained from doing it.

I am! Starting on the 19th, doing Access to Humanities :smile: I'm going straight from AS levels, but I didn't get bad grades. Just felt Access would be better.

That's good to hear. I didn't get bad A-levels. But not up to the standard that I want it. Good luck with your access course though!!! I have started my access course in Health.
Original post by Salieri

Whoa... Not a good idea!

Firstly, the OP is not asking about the general acceptability or otherwise of Access courses; s/he's asking about whether an Access course can 'cover up' poor A Levels. The answer is categorically 'no'.

Secondly, suggesting that s/he 'doesn't' mention' the previous results is irresponsible. This is straight out fraud, very easily caught by UCAS and would result in the application(s) to university, or any offers, being withdrawn.

You MUST declare all qualifications sat and the grades obtained, even if you failed them. Please do not suggest to people that they attempt to be deceitful on their UCAS applications.
(edited 5 years ago)

I started a couple months ago (i'm doing it online) and no, you're not thrown in at the deep end, although I can't speak for all courses. You start with some study skills units which are pretty simple.
Original post by Kokoblue
HI
Age; 19
Access Course: Science

I feel like I'm the youngest doing an access course but it's online, i wanted to dedicate the rest of my time to voluntary work and work in general. I hope to go uni next year.

You're not the youngest :smile: There are loads of 19 year olds here, including myself. I'm also doing it online. Have you started yet? I started a couple months ago.
Whoa... Not a good idea!

Firstly, the OP is not asking about the general acceptability or otherwise of Access courses; s/he's asking about whether an Access course can 'cover up' poor A Levels. The answer is categorically 'no'.

Secondly, suggesting that s/he 'doesn't' mention' the previous results is irresponsible. This is straight out fraud, very easily caught by UCAS and would result in the application(s) to university, or any offers, being withdrawn.

You MUST declare all qualifications sat and the grades obtained, even if you failed them. Please do not suggest to people that they attempt to be deceitful on their UCAS applications.

Not mentioning them on your personal statement is what I said, I didn't say a thing about not including them in the application. Your personal statement doesn't have to refer to your past grades at all.
Whoa... Not a good idea!

She said not to mention it in the PERSONAL STATEMENT. I know that everyone has to declare every grade obtained onto the UCAS Application. However, she is talking about not putting the information on the actual 4,000 characters on Personal Statement. If you read her response correctly.
Original post by A20065
She said not to mention it in the PERSONAL STATEMENT. I know that everyone has to declare every grade obtained onto the UCAS Application. However, she is talking about not putting the information on the actual 4,000 characters on Personal Statement. If you read her response correctly.

Jesus...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending