Do Currys/PC World hire 16 year olds? What about phone shops?

Watch
meekyam37
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

Nearly at the end of my GCSEs - just further maths left to go. I have an interest in getting a job for the summer period with the possibility of carrying it on throughout college with reduced hours.

I have a lot of enthusiasm for technology and I am the member of the family that my relatives come to for help and advice with all things gadget related. I feel like I would be a waste of space working in a fashion store (which is where most 16-year-olds I know seem to work) as I certainly wouldn't be of much use to anyone there! So far I've considered Currys/PC World and also a number of phone companies e.g. EE, Vodafone, O2 etc. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has worked at these places or similar. For instance, I'm not aware if these stores hire 16-year-olds.

I'm also open to suggestions of other companies/places to work. Explore learning could be an option too as I enjoy helping and teaching individuals though I would have to provide predicted GCSE grades (Maths: 8/9 and English Lang: 6/7) as I obviously don't have any results until the 23rd of August.

Many thanks to anyone who can offer some advice or info,

Meeky :pcguru:
aarondc249
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To be honest most stores don't really specify what age range there looking for. If I was you I'd type up a CV and go around to your local computer/phone store and offer them your CV saying if they need any staff over the summer you'd be interested.
Shadowdraconis
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by meekyam37)
Hi,

Nearly at the end of my GCSEs - just further maths left to go. I have an interest in getting a job for the summer period with the possibility of carrying it on throughout college with reduced hours.

I have a lot of enthusiasm for technology and I am the member of the family that my relatives come to for help and advice with all things gadget related. I feel like I would be a waste of space working in a fashion store (which is where most 16-year-olds I know seem to work) as I certainly wouldn't be of much use to anyone there! So far I've considered Currys/PC World and also a number of phone companies e.g. EE, Vodafone, O2 etc. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has worked at these places or similar. For instance, I'm not aware if these stores hire 16-year-olds.

I'm also open to suggestions of other companies/places to work. Explore learning could be an option too as I enjoy helping and teaching individuals though I would have to provide predicted GCSE grades (Maths: 8/9 and English Lang: 6/7) as I obviously don't have any results until the 23rd.

My information may not be 100% accurate cos I haven't worked there myself but someone in my class worked at Curry's PC world at the beggining of year 12 (she was 16) so I'm pretty sure they let you work there at 16. If you're interested in volunteering I know that some care homes and libraries offer schemes which help old people use technology (have to do stuff on a tablet, how to email, that sort of thing). Hope this was helpful!
meekyam37
Rep:
?
(Original post by aarondc249)
To be honest most stores don't really specify what age range there looking for. If I was you I'd type up a CV and go around to your local computer/phone store and offer them your CV saying if they need any staff over the summer you'd be interested.
Ahh sounds good. Will look at getting a CV sorted soon then.

Thanks,
Meeks

BTW thanks for responding this is my first ever TSR post and I really wasn't expecting any responses.
meekyam37
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shadowdraconis)
My information may not be 100% accurate cos I haven't worked there myself but someone in my class worked at Curry's PC world at the beggining of year 12 (she was 16) so I'm pretty sure they let you work there at 16. If you're interested in volunteering I know that some care homes and libraries offer schemes which help old people use technology (have to do stuff on a tablet, how to email, that sort of thing). Hope this was helpful!
Thank you for the info Shadowdracoins didn't think of that!

Thanks,
Meeks

BTW thanks for responding this is my first ever TSR post and I really wasn't expecting any responses.
Shadowdraconis
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for the info Shadowdracoins didn't think of that!

Thanks,
Meeks

No problem, glad to have helped! I want to do computer science at uni so I decided to volunteer at my local library (that does the scheme I mentioned above) next year, rather than working at a charity shop or something which everyone seems to do but didn't seem relevant/interesting to me.

Welcome to TSR Meeks! It's a great place for tips and advice on pretty much anything (as well as procrastination but we'll ignore that lol )
R1C3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
While you may be able to land a job there, I highly doubt you'd be doing the 'main' job of sales and helping a customer choose a product- as I'd imagine most employees would feel uncomfortable having a young teenager trying to sell products for them.

But certainly worth asking them.
Stephan0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm also open to suggestions of other companies/places to work. Explore learning could be an option too as I enjoy helping and teaching individuals though I would have to provide predicted GCSE grades (Maths: 8/9 and English Lang: 6/7) as I obviously don't have any results until the 23rd of August.

No way ,i've heard you need a oxbridge degree to work at Currys
meekyam37
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stephan0)
Haha! Love a bit of sarcasm I do . Yeah I only said about grades because explore learning your tutoring people so they expect you to have minimum 6's in GCSE maths, english and possibly science.
prophetkid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I applied for a job at Sainsburys phone shop when I was 17 and was offered an interview, think the only experience I had at that point was a bit of voluntary work in a charity shop. Plus I've never seen any age restrictions, so it's not impossible to get a job like that at 16, good luck!
meekyam37
Rep:
?
(Original post by prophetkid)
I applied for a job at Sainsburys phone shop when I was 17 and was offered an interview, think the only experience I had at that point was a bit of voluntary work in a charity shop. Plus I've never seen any age restrictions, so it's not impossible to get a job like that at 16, good luck!
Thank you! I mean my family rightly pointed out to me that I don't need a job right now. I'll have a look around it isn't like i am desperate or something. I could always just spend the summer going out on my bike and getting fitter anyways.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Stephan0)
And that's just for the toilet cleaners job.
Stephan0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
And that's just for the toilet cleaners job.
yeah you need at least a PHD in physics to even speak to the customers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (148)
43.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.7%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.05%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.94%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.85%

Watched Threads