The Student Room Group

Australia v France 11am

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mojojojo101
Oh my ****.

That's a definite penalty.

Neville needs to shut his face and go read the rulebook.

I agree with Neville (never thought I'd be saying that). Aside from his hating on technology, I'm all for tech.

But I thought that adding technology would stop these awful, weak decisions being given in important games... not increase the likelihood of the slightest touch being given as a foul.

Griezmann was not brought down. His left heel was clipped after he'd already run through, and yet his right leg mysteriously gave way. Could have stayed on his feet, and I wish technology was being used in a way to encourage that.
Original post by S.G.
That was all Chelsea striker Giroud’s work.

Original post by bj27
Giroud too good.

I just noticed Giroud touch in the highlights.Cant believe I missed it but pretty good.
Can’t believe something like that can be done so flawlessly.
Original post by Quixote.
I agree with Neville (never thought I'd be saying that). Aside from his hating on technology, I'm all for tech.

But I thought that adding technology would stop these awful, weak decisions being given in important games... not increase the likelihood of the slightest touch being given as a foul.

Griezmann was not brought down. His left heel was clipped after he'd already run through, and yet his right leg mysteriously gave way. Could have stayed on his feet, and I wish technology was being used in a way to encourage that.

So it's not a foul based on your your thought that Griezman didn't fall over correctly?

Your entire argument seems to based on what you think Griezzman was thinking rather than what actually happened.
Original post by mojojojo101
So it's not a foul based on your your thought that Griezman didn't fall over correctly?

Your entire argument seems to based on what you think Griezzman was thinking rather than what actually happened.

Not really. He shouldn't have fallen at all. I don't believe that he was impeded in any way by the touch. The ball was getting away from him after a heavy touch, he felt his heel get clipped, and collapsed in a way that was in no way a result of that touch. The VAR showed that. It shouldn't be that clear cut, "he was touched so it was a foul", even more so if it can be reviewed. France were going down way too easily all game, and if we have a chance to cut that out then it should be taken.

I guess i'm partly arguing against another issue, the issue of what actually constitutes a foul by today's rules. But i'm saying that it'd be a missed opportunity if VAR wasn't used to encourage a more honest style of play now that it can be reviewed on the spot.

I'd be really cautious about calling this a victory for VAR, or football going forward, if it's simply going to turn every slight bit of contact into a nailed on penalty whenever a striker goes over under the slightest of challenges.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 44
He clipped Griezmann therefore its a foul end of story.

Whether he went down easily or not is irrelevant as there was enough contact to give a pen.
Original post by bj27
He clipped Griezmann therefore its a foul end of story.

Whether he went down easily or not is irrelevant as there was enough contact to give a pen.

And I'm saying they should use VAR to change that, to encourage players to play football. I mean Griezmann has the skill.

He clipped Griezmann after clipping the ball, and not enough to bring him down. Difficult decision to make in real time, but a little pathetic once we review it and just concede that any amount of contact is too much.

Players going down easily shouldn't be a thing anymore if we're able to determine that in real time.

Quick Reply

Latest