The Student Room Group

C3 Chain rule question

Is the chain rule only valid for linear functions? I always thought it was but then I came across a function where it wasn't linear but the chain rule was used
Reply 1
What do you mean by you thought it was only linear? Do you mean you didn’t think you would use the chain rule on say (quadratic equation)^n to get n(quadratic equation)^(n-1) *(differential of quadratic equation)
Reply 2
Original post by NR22
What do you mean by you thought it was only linear? Do you mean you didn’t think you would use the chain rule on say (quadratic equation)^n to get n(quadratic equation)^(n-1) *(differential of quadratic equation)

Yeah, so can you use it for all non linear equations such the one you gave?
Reply 3
It is valid for everything you can sub u in for. However, be careful not to get confused about reverse chain rule on integration questions, which IS only valid for linear functions.
Reply 4
Original post by Uvuwewewe

Yes you can use the chain rule for all non linear equations just like the one I gave you, you might use it on trig as-well don’t forget that either, may help you out!
Original post by Uvuwewewe

Original post by NR22
Yes you can use the chain rule for all non linear equations just like the one I gave you, you might use it on trig as-well don’t forget that either, may help you out!

The chain rule is valid for any composition of differentiable functions - equation is the wrong word. Make sure you understand the difference: see https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1603753/difference-between-function-and-equation.
Reply 6
Original post by MCArth
It is valid for everything you can sub u in for. However, be careful not to get confused about reverse chain rule on integration questions, which IS only valid for linear functions.

Ah yes, that's probably where I got my assumption from. I haven't revised C3 in a while so it's still a bit of a blur, thanks for the reminder
Reply 7
Original post by NR22

Okay, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest