Elisa10
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’ll be doing Digital Marketing and I’m really unsure as to which laptop to get, I already have a 17” Samsung but plan on selling it as it is getting old and would prefer a smaller one. I’m considering a MacBook as I plan on using the editing for YouTube but other than that have no reason as I’ve heard it’s overpriced. Don’t really have a budget and suggestions of different ideas would be appreciated
username3872488
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d say to save up and get a MacBook Pro, it’s really good for editing and pretty much everything.
datjackguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go into a computer store and take a look at microsoft's lineup of surface laptops. The Surface Book 2 is particularly impressive and in a similar price range to macbook pros. If you don't have the budget, the surface pro and the surface laptop are also fairly impressive devices.
Elisa10
Rep:
?
(Original post by datjackguy)
Go into a computer store and take a look at microsoft's lineup of surface laptops. The Surface Book 2 is particularly impressive and in a similar price range to macbook pros. If you don't have the budget, the surface pro and the surface laptop are also fairly impressive devices.
This is definitely another option for me! Possibly look into second hand ones to see if the price is cheaper, but these would be perfect in the portability requirements, I’ll definitely add it to the list thank you
MatthewAV8B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where MAC's can perform well , they are let down by their operating system. You would be better off getting a similarly spec'd laptop on windows 10. Purely because the Windows OS is much much more accommodating for all software , and you will rarely every meet an issue where the software you wish to use is for mac only rather than windows.

What do you use for You Tube video editing?
AngeryPenguin
Report 1 year ago
I'm not Mac really has the edge these days when it comes to free video editing software. You'll find a host of good free video editors on both Linux and Windows. The one that I've heard the best things about - Blender - is actually cross-platform, and is great for both simple and very professional projects, but has a large learning curve. I've found that it works best on Linux by a small margin.

Maybe if you are doing Digital Marketing, you'll be expected to use more professional tools that aren't available on some of platforms. But if that were the case, they'd have told you.

So it doesn't sound like you need a Macbook. You will probably want a beefier CPU and GPU for video editing though. What kind of other specs are you looking at? USB ports, support for multiple extra monitors, good keyboard (i.e. do you type a lot), resolution (i.e. do you watch 4K videos), storage, size, weight, budget?
Elisa10
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
I'm not Mac really has the edge these days when it comes to free video editing software. You'll find a host of good free video editors on both Linux and Windows. The one that I've heard the best things about - Blender - is actually cross-platform, and is great for both simple and very professional projects, but has a large learning curve. I've found that it works best on Linux by a small margin.

Maybe if you are doing Digital Marketing, you'll be expected to use more professional tools that aren't available on some of platforms. But if that were the case, they'd have told you.

So it doesn't sound like you need a Macbook. You will probably want a beefier CPU and GPU for video editing though. What kind of other specs are you looking at? USB ports, support for multiple extra monitors, good keyboard (i.e. do you type a lot), resolution (i.e. do you watch 4K videos), storage, size, weight, budget?
Not really fussed on USB ports I think my current laptop has 2/3 so one with the same amount would be nice, high resolution is a must as it will be substituting a TV for me as I watch a lot online and will save desk space in my room, storage is a key factor as I’ll need space to not only save my work but also for my videos and backing up my phone etc but I could probably get an external hard drive, size preferably 15”, a lightweight one would be nice but again not fussed, and budget wise probably nothing over the Macbook/Surface price range
Elisa10
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatthewAV8B)
Where MAC's can perform well , they are let down by their operating system. You would be better off getting a similarly spec'd laptop on windows 10. Purely because the Windows OS is much much more accommodating for all software , and you will rarely every meet an issue where the software you wish to use is for mac only rather than windows.

What do you use for You Tube video editing?
Currently I use iMovie but I’m still getting the hang of it and idk maybe it’s my lack of knowledge but it isn’t doing much for me haha
gödel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elisa10)
So I’ll be doing Digital Marketing and I’m really unsure as to which laptop to get, I already have a 17” Samsung but plan on selling it as it is getting old and would prefer a smaller one. I’m considering a MacBook as I plan on using the editing for YouTube but other than that have no reason as I’ve heard it’s overpriced. Don’t really have a budget and suggestions of different ideas would be appreciated
When you get to uni sign up for unidays. You get 10% off new Apple laptops, you should get the MacBook Pro I think.

Otherwise go on eBay and get a year - 2year old one. That's what I did, well worth it.
serah.exe
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've got a HP Omen laptop and it works perfectly for me, from gaming, to video editing. Maybe check those out?
ogbullyhunter
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Blade.../dp/B07D1DZPYF
Elisa10
Rep:
?
(Original post by gödel)
When you get to uni sign up for unidays. You get 10% off new Apple laptops, you should get the MacBook Pro I think.

Otherwise go on eBay and get a year - 2year old one. That's what I did, well worth it.
I always scroll past the offer and it is very enticing, also my cousin works at Apple so it may be even cheaper than that if I get family discount, thanks for the advice!
Elisa10
Rep:
?
(Original post by serah.exe)
I've got a HP Omen laptop and it works perfectly for me, from gaming, to video editing. Maybe check those out?
Definitely a new name for me, my dad is completely against HP though but i will definitely give them a look
serah.exe
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely a new name for me, my dad is completely against HP though but i will definitely give them a look
:rofl: I used to not be a big fan of HP stuff, but the HP Omen hasn't let me down a single time.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
a laptop, is pretty much a PC. its made from different part, made by different companies. So what you really want is the best PARTS, not a brand. like a mac isnt fast cos its a mac, all a mac has is a different OS, i.e: not windows .( mac are good since most already come with great parts hence why they cost a bit)

what you really want and need is an SSD, itll make boot up times faster and make your laptop better at updating and stuff. Mac mostly always come with them, but a ton and i mean a ton of other people offer it. you want a decent processor, an I3/I5, I3's are cheaper and unless you want to play games, its all youll need. Dont get anything AMD for laptops unless its ryzen ( every single laptop has either an AMD or intel processer ), and anything worse than I3, I.E celerons/pent/atom . other than that since you dont game, nothing much else.

get the best cheapest i-3 laptop ( get something getter than/or second gen, meaning itll be I-3 2xxx/i-3 8xxxx - first number is the gen) with an SSD. simple as, preform almost like a mac ( macs come with I5's ( more expensive ones with I7, which you DONT need... unless its a gaming laptop ), which are better than I3's; but you dont really need an I5 since its a laptop . if you want an I5 get one ).
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not really fussed on USB ports I think my current laptop has 2/3 so one with the same amount would be nice, high resolution is a must as it will be substituting a TV for me as I watch a lot online and will save desk space in my room, storage is a key factor as I’ll need space to not only save my work but also for my videos and backing up my phone etc but I could probably get an external hard drive, size preferably 15”, a lightweight one would be nice but again not fussed, and budget wise probably nothing over the Macbook/Surface price range
If you're doing Youtube as well as backing up photos and other media from your phone, you're going to want a laptop with at least 500GB storage. Preferably 1TB or more, depending on how much video creating you are going to do, at what resolution, and how long. You could get an external drive but I'd prefer a laptop with the storage you want integrated in.

Don't get the Surface lineup. They're not very repair friendly, so if anything fails inside it, you'll be basically junking your machine - as well as all of your data on it - as the SSDs on the Surface devices are integrated and cannot be replaced. (On the Surface Laptop, you can't even open the device in a nondestructive way, so good luck replacing the battery in 2-3 years down the line.) And the maximum storage level on a Surface is 512GB, which is not ideal if you're needing a lot of storage...

I've had no problem with HP's laptops; they're reasonably light, have some good specs in the 14-15 inch screen range, and battery life is pretty good too (5-6 hours, maybe more if you use power savings settings). If you're doing Digital Marketing and video editing, get one with a good graphics unit rather than an integrated graphics unit - and definitely get an i5 at the minimum (i7 preferred) for CPU.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by spotify95)
If you're doing Youtube as well as backing up photos and other media from your phone, you're going to want a laptop with at least 500GB storage. Preferably 1TB or more, depending on how much video creating you are going to do, at what resolution, and how long. You could get an external drive but I'd prefer a laptop with the storage you want integrated in.

Don't get the Surface lineup. They're not very repair friendly, so if anything fails inside it, you'll be basically junking your machine - as well as all of your data on it - as the SSDs on the Surface devices are integrated and cannot be replaced. (On the Surface Laptop, you can't even open the device in a nondestructive way, so good luck replacing the battery in 2-3 years down the line.) And the maximum storage level on a Surface is 512GB, which is not ideal if you're needing a lot of storage...

I've had no problem with HP's laptops; they're reasonably light, have some good specs in the 14-15 inch screen range, and battery life is pretty good too (5-6 hours, maybe more if you use power savings settings). If you're doing Digital Marketing and video editing, get one with a good graphics unit rather than an integrated graphics unit - and definitely get an i5 at the minimum (i7 preferred) for CPU.
Idk about getting something 1TB, SSD make laptop seem a lot faster, since they literally can make boot up times go from 40 secs to 3 secs. getting a 1TB ssd, will be very expensive ( about £200, a 1tb Hrd drive cost 1/5 of that ). im guessing youre recommending a hard drive ( or maybe a 1tb ssd), which are great and all, but they make boot up and updates and the whole computer itself feel a bit slower, *****er harddrives, can just make laptops really unstable as well.

on the graphic cards, only gaming laptops come with graphic cards.. and they cost a bit, but i agree if you wanna do vidoe editing on it, which i missed out in my post, youll need a decent graphic card and an I5 min, since vidoe editing esp from a laptop, which has to be kept cooled and powered from a bat, is a massive ask= youll need better parts.

tbh if your thinking of getting a mac book, just get a laptop with an SSD and an I3/I5. if you actually wanna do some real you are a 50k subbed youtuber video editing, youll probably need something better than a mac tbh, something like a gaming laptop, since vidoe editing needs a GPU and they are big and bulky, even in laptops. most laptops and macs, come with intergrated processor graphics, and they are decent enough to do most things, like watch videos, most intergrated graphics after 2013ish is the same preformance wise and good enough . so yeah what are you looking for ?
Elisa10
Rep:
?
rimstone spotify95 my dad was thinking of giving me his MSI and getting himself a new one, not sure what the storage is but I know it is very good and hes a tech geek so he’d only get the best for what he needs, I declined as it’s 17” but considering just taking it as its cheap and will do everything i need it to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed