Last edited by ksarte; 1 week ago
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ksarte)
Hi all,

I really need the advice of those who are currenlty doing Phd in Theoreical and Applied Lingusitics at Cambridge.

I have one master's from the Philippines which the University of Melbourne assessed as "H1 standard Section 1 (Australian Masters equivalent) Master of Arts In English". And I'm now doing my second master's in General and Applied Linguistics at the Australian National University. I've never had a grade below 90 before, and I'm aiming to get an overall HD from ANU in July 2019. I was a Fulbright foreign language assistatnt in the US for a year, and had three years of teaching experience. I've been a Linguistic project manager for more than a year now while doing my full-time studies. The problem is I don't have research publication yet and after university (where I had been awarded leadership and community involvement awards), I'm afraid I didn't have much community involvment but only leadership oppurtinies at work.

Do you advice me to apply for Mphil still (even if I would have two masters by then)? Or will I have a chance at getting accepted as a Phd student? And if ever, what do you recommend me to do/accomplish while I'm still ding my master's here in Austrlia before I apply for 2020 entry. Thank you so much.
You may not get a visa to do another masters as you need to show progression. Your best bet is to contact Cambridge and see how they'd view you as an applicant.
ksarte
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
You may not get a visa to do another masters as you need to show progression. Your best bet is to contact Cambridge and see how they'd view you as an applicant.
I didn't understand the first sentence and how it relates to my question. Does Cambridge give advice? Thanks!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ksarte)
I didn't understand the first sentence and how it relates to my question. Does Cambridge give advice? Thanks!
They can do yes. If you are coming to the UK to study and need a visa you need to show that you are progressing from your last level of study i.e not just doing multiple degrees in the same field at the same level.
ksarte
Rep:
?
(Original post by darshvader)
Hey there! I was an FLTA myself and I'm from SEA. Very close to the Phils. I'm also intending to apply to Cantab next year. How's the research proposal coming along?
Hi Darsh, I haven't started yet, I'm still in Australia for my MA. I will be applying in 2019 for 2020 entry. But I will start my preps this year.
How about you? And which FLTA batch are you in? I'm in Batch 2015.
ksarte
Rep:
?
Hi again Alley Cat ,

Do you think I should wait for my master's degree qualification/graduation before applying or I can apply even before I gradutae from my master's?

Thanks a lot
Toufig LU
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Wow you just have such an amazing background.I really admire it.I myself am going to apply for Mphil linguistics at Cambridge, although I am crystal clear that I am as good as you and will be rejected from the very beginning.I sincerely wish you success and brilliant achievement in the coming year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (20)
23.26%
Unconditional if firmed (4)
4.65%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (1)
1.16%
No unconditional offers (61)
70.93%

Watched Threads