The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is so upsetting that you even have to ask this. Have you tried to get support/help from anyone? The root of the problem needs to be addressed first :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone know how to hide scars from self harm in summer? I have a few very obvious ones on my arms and will have many family reunions this summer, and the scars aren’t something I want them to see. For now (family meetup for Eid tomorrow) I’m using henna to cover my scars, but I won’t be able to use it long term. Tips appreciated

Long sleeves. It's pretty cold outside right now. But I agree with the above poster - please consider getting help for this.
It's hard but can be done, either you can cover up with clothes or you can use makeup for covering tattoos (haven't done this one myself cos it's expensive so can't say how effective it is). You could get really thick denier skin coloured tights and cut the end off to its just a tube (have done that before)or use tubular bandages. Scarring is on my legs not my arms so is easier to hide in that way by wearing trousers (am assuming yours are on your arms if you're saying henna)
:hugs:
(edited 5 years ago)
I used to do this. You can wear long sleeves. Don’t use plasters cause it makes it obvious and don’t wrap bandages around you for the same reasons. If people ask, say it’s your favorite ****/sweater. But please don’t do it. My skin is ruined and the marks are ugly. Please stop. Express your hurt in poetry or song writing or music. And think about how horrified your parent/carer and family would be. It would break them! Talk to me, them, someone you trust! A friend, even. YOU WILL MAKE IT! KEEP FIGHTING AND DONT HURT YOURSELF ANYMORE BECAUSE YOU ARE A BLESSING TO PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD! And if you have any insecurities just remember...the Japanese think that you are only perfect if you have at least one imperfection. I LOVE YOU! MANY OTHERS LOVE YOU! STAY STRONG FRIEND I HAVENT MET YET!
And wear light colors if it’s hot. Or don’t do it in...obvious places.

But the most effective solution is...

Do not do it at all!
Original post by bangtangirl
I used to do this. You can wear long sleeves. Don’t use plasters cause it makes it obvious and don’t wrap bandages around you for the same reasons. If people ask, say it’s your favorite ****/sweater. But please don’t do it. My skin is ruined and the marks are ugly. Please stop. Express your hurt in poetry or song writing or music. And think about how horrified your parent/carer and family would be. It would break them! Talk to me, them, someone you trust! A friend, even. YOU WILL MAKE IT! KEEP FIGHTING AND DONT HURT YOURSELF ANYMORE BECAUSE YOU ARE A BLESSING TO PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD! And if you have any insecurities just remember...the Japanese think that you are only perfect if you have at least one imperfection. I LOVE YOU! MANY OTHERS LOVE YOU! STAY STRONG FRIEND I HAVENT MET YET!

OP may have stopped, scars can be from any time
True
Short term, try bracelets that are elastic band style/festival ticket style so they dont move

If the scars are just discoloured and not particularly raised or indented than the skin next to it, make up could work, you can get tattoo cover or waterproof makeup from chemists like boots that work well

If they are still healing/scabbing, avoid scratching the scabs off and keep them moist with aloe vera or aftersun moisturiser for as long as possible - this goes a long way to stop them permanently scarring

Most scars fade after a few years especially on arms where the skin is more damage resistant, but they wont if they are deep or long

Easier said than done but stopping is possible - i did it
Its a great help to get counselling or just visit your gp, or have a friend/family member to talk to about it

When i turn 18,im getting a tattoo to cover my leg scars as they will never fade, but stuff like hennas cool as it reminds you how delicate your skin is, and the stuff below it

Hope everything gets better soon, it will eventually
Make up?
use an icepack
People don’t tend to pay much attention. If they’re not obvious (eg, healed and white) then people likely won’t notice. If they’re still red I guess they will- you can wear those nice jumpers with holes in though (like crochet/knitted shawl), it breaks up the outline and will make any marks basically invisible, as well as being really nice in general.
Yes it's going to be hard but they ARE A part of YOU ! T shirt and say Dad/Mum we need to talk. Better than any therapist,they're your parents,firstly they see,mum's specially x videcall call mum first,Mums know best ! Better out in the open with family.
Short term - long clothes..
long term - learn to accept the scars as just another part of your past.. they don't define you and are nothing to he ashamed of. Some scars fade to nothing.. many don't. You can't hide them your whole life, especially not from your future partner, kids, family etc. The only way is just to get to the point (after you have stopped doing it) of accepting that you don't need to hide it.

I'll go to the beach in shorts, wear t-shirts, without caring these days. No adult has ever said anything in all the years since.. only some kids have innocently asked, but they didn't know any better. It's awful at first, but better then living a life hiding
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone know how to hide scars from self harm in summer? I have a few very obvious ones on my arms and will have many family reunions this summer, and the scars aren’t something I want them to see. For now (family meetup for Eid tomorrow) I’m using henna to cover my scars, but I won’t be able to use it long term. Tips appreciated

Hi,

Have you tried using oil on your scars to help them heal? If you start using it now it might reduce their appearance and make it easier to cover up when summer comes around.

Always here to chat if you need! :smile:

Lucy
I have loads of horrible scars on my arms from SH and they can be quite tricky to hide. I try long sleeve tops, some shoulder less tops are long sleeved and summery so it doesn't look suspicious, same with dresses, or wear a long sleeved top under a tshirt- stick to light colours as the darker ones attract heat.

If they are down low on your wrist bracelets and wristbands are good, is they are higher up shawls and ponchos are helpful.

Some places do this "cover all" foundation/concealer that covers the scars almost fully!

Dermol cream which you can get on prescription fades scars so well! It can be used as a soap of cream and if anyone questions the cream it's normally used for dermatitis so just say you have some dermatitis from washing up, or a rash from heat etc...

Henna, tattoos will cover it, but long term you're best using Dermol, bio oil or creams containing vitamin E (Holland and Barrett do good ones), silicone scar strips, (like plasters but they fade the scar), moisturise daily,

Hope this helps xx
I need help from cutting I did it today during fourth period and I don’t know what to do. HELP
Original post by Curlycutie13
I need help from cutting I did it today during fourth period and I don’t know what to do. HELP

Please reach out for help. Even if it's just telling a trusted friend, teacher or parent.
Telling people who I trust helped a lot for me, here if you need to talk x
YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS. talk to an adult or at least a friend you know you can trust. to pass the urge, try distracting yourself by playing an instrument, listening to music, reading a book, or taking a warm shower. some alternatives to self harm that still cause discomfort are: putting your hand in ice water, snapping a rubber band against your wrist, or plucking your eyebrows. look up ways to stop self harming, there are thousands of resources out there. down load an app called Calm Harm. I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS. YOU ARE BRAVE. YOU ARE STRONG. YOU CAN DO THIS. YOU ARE LOVED AND I CARE ABOUT YOU. if you ever need to talk to someone i’m here. but most importantly, know that you are in control and i believe in you. I LOVE YOU.

Latest

Trending

Trending