Got a 2:2 feel quite down and unaccomplished Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m graduating with a 2:2, I feel a bit embarrassed because it may give the impression that I did not try hard enough although I gave it my all!

Only one module worth 50% and I worked very hard, literally blood, sweat and tears (not joking I had to construct things, the tears came from the stress of my work) on this part of the module but I got marked down a lot without understanding why. I just thought that if I worked hard and didn’t go home at all then it will pay off, sadly it didn’t.

Maybe I deserved it idk but I don’t know what to do or I don’t know how to feel about my grade considering most grad schemes are 2:1 or above. Also people are slightly judgey when they hear I got a 2:2 and coursemates posting about their high grades on social media kind of makes me feel down.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
Be happy it’s better than a third class honours.
Anonymous #1
:/
abdur_rahman1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You've done everything you can, hopefully your career prospects can be ameliorated with a Masters, or relevant experience! Congratulations on graduating though, that in itself is an achievement and a half.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
if you are lazy and got a 2.2 = learn from your mistake, work harder next time

if you worked your hardest, and tried your best, but still got a 2.2 = what ever subject you were studying, its probably not for you as you are not capable enough at it. Try a different line of work/study. Understand your strengths and how your mind workds, and pick a field that better matches you.

personal:
Spoiler:
Show

my sister was the second example. She studied photography at university - worked very hard throughout, but only got a 2.2. Clearly she wasn't suited to it (something all the rest of us knew from the begining.. she was an artist not a photographer) - so she changed course, did a masters in fine art, got a distinction in that, and now teaches are at one of the best private schools in the country.

She didn't work any harder for her masters, but she got a better grade because she was playing to her strengths, rather then pushing down a path that didn't suit her.

For me, I was group 1, but without the 2.2, I got a 2.1 (barely) - but I did basically no work for my last 2 years at uni. All I did was focus on my own projects and things I was working outside of my studies. It was my fault - even a half attempt, and I could have got a better 2.1, or a 1st. These days I am studying for my masters alongside working, and I am a much more diciplined and focused student.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 5 months ago
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m graduating with a 2:2, I feel a bit embarrassed because it may give the impression that I did not try hard enough although I gave it my all!

Only one module worth 50% and I worked very hard, literally blood, sweat and tears (not joking I had to construct things, the tears came from the stress of my work) on this part of the module but I got marked down a lot without understanding why. I just thought that if I worked hard and didn’t go home at all then it will pay off, sadly it didn’t.

Maybe I deserved it idk but I don’t know what to do or I don’t know how to feel about my grade considering most grad schemes are 2:1 or above. Also people are slightly judgey when they hear I got a 2:2 and coursemates posting about their high grades on social media kind of makes me feel down.
I graduated with a 2.2 so I do understand how you feel- I worked hard too, but had ongoing extenuating circumstances for the latter 2 years of my degree. Now I'm doing an MSc(Res) in one of the leading universities and I'm on track to graduate with a distinction so there is hope
Analyst89
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
2.2 is still a great achievement, you should be proud of yourself!

You can get a job with a 2.2. Perhaps volunteer or gain more experience somehow.

You can always do a masters. Open uni masters are £5.5k which you cab pay monthly.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
if you are lazy and got a 2.2 = learn from your mistake, work harder next time

if you worked your hardest, and tried your best, but still got a 2.2 = what ever subject you were studying, its probably not for you as you are not capable enough at it. Try a different line of work/study. Understand your strengths and how your mind workds, and pick a field that better matches you.

personal:
Spoiler:
Show

my sister was the second example. She studied photography at university - worked very hard throughout, but only got a 2.2. Clearly she wasn't suited to it (something all the rest of us knew from the begining.. she was an artist not a photographer) - so she changed course, did a masters in fine art, got a distinction in that, and now teaches are at one of the best private schools in the country.

She didn't work any harder for her masters, but she got a better grade because she was playing to her strengths, rather then pushing down a path that didn't suit her.

For me, I was group 1, but without the 2.2, I got a 2.1 (barely) - but I did basically no work for my last 2 years at uni. All I did was focus on my own projects and things I was working outside of my studies. It was my fault - even a half attempt, and I could have got a better 2.1, or a 1st. These days I am studying for my masters alongside working, and I am a much more diciplined and focused student.
I think that’s true i kept saying throughout the year and second year I don’t think this course is for me, don’t get me wrong I enjoy aspects of the course but I can’t get my head around what I’m doing wrong.i worked so hard to make it work but it didn’t so I need to find my strength.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lilGem)
I graduated with a 2.2 so I do understand how you feel- I worked hard too, but had ongoing extenuating circumstances for the latter 2 years of my degree. Now I'm doing an MSc(Res) in one of the leading universities and I'm on track to graduate with a distinction so there is hope
That’s very good! Well done!
I’m going to try and gain as much experience as I can
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Analyst89)
2.2 is still a great achievement, you should be proud of yourself!

You can get a job with a 2.2. Perhaps volunteer or gain more experience somehow.

You can always do a masters. Open uni masters are £5.5k which you cab pay monthly.
I don’t think I want to further my education, I did a placement year and foundation year after a levels, so I’m graduating at 23, I honestly don’t think the education system is for me, I don’t want to waste anymore of my time where I feel I can’t be my best.
Anonymous #3
Report 5 months ago
I put hours in everyday on my dissertation, had to stalk my supervisor at one point as she wasn't responsive and think I worked much harder than my course mate who did hers last minute. Yet we both got the same mark (62). It makes me feel thick, as though I have to work extremely hard just for mediocre grades. I got a 2.1, just scraped it, but I feel I have to work much harder than the average person for things. Op I wouldn't worry, 5 years from now. or even 2 years, it won't matter one bit.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just do a masters best way to make up for it, but make sure its something you really want to do, i mean you must have realised these year 3 marks matter alot...maybe you left it too late?

Please dont just get on a masters thinking its an easy path, because that can be failed or (barely passed) just the same.
Justmac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I know you are feeling rough OP but at least you made it, uni did not finish you! Lots of people drop out but at least you will make it across that stage. Right now there is nothing you can do to change your grade. If you are still unsure of exactly what you want to do then look at applying for internships or do some volunteering alongside part time work. Start building up your experience and those softer skills. Academia isn't for everyone and that's fine, you gave it your best shot! Honestly take a few days and feel like **** if you want but start planning ahead and thinking about how you can make yourself employable. A degree isn't the be all and end all, experience is also massively important. Just take heart op and think about what you have managed to achieve!
Anonymous #1
I put hours in everyday on my dissertation, had to stalk my supervisor at one point as she wasn't responsive and think I worked much harder than my course mate who did hers last minute. Yet we both got the same mark (62). It makes me feel thick, as though I have to work extremely hard just for mediocre grades. I got a 2.1, just scraped it, but I feel I have to work much harder than the average person for things. Op I wouldn't worry, 5 years from now. or even 2 years, it won't matter one bit.
Omg that’s exactly how I feel, I never went home for Easter and I spent every day 9am -12 doing the dissertation and my coursemate only started the disso a week before the deadline and finished on the deadline day and they got a decent grade. It just makes me think should I have just relaxed and not even tried so hard.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

A 2.2 is fine, while it may stop you from applying to certain grad schemes, there are still plenty of companies out there taking graduates with 2.2 degrees.

A degree is such a small part of a CV, you shouldn't really worry about it. As long as you have employable skills and experience then you will be absolutely fine.

I know so many graduates struggling to find work with first class degrees simply because that's all they have to show for their 3/4 years at university.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Just do a masters best way to make up for it, but make sure its something you really want to do, i mean you must have realised these year 3 marks matter alot...maybe you left it too late?

Please dont just get on a masters thinking its an easy path, because that can be failed or (barely passed) just the same.
Masters or even uni is not for me if I try so hard but not get the grade I want. I truly do not have the motivation or drive to waste another year stressing and coming out with the same results.

Of course I realised these year 3 marks matter! My year was a 100% I said before I didn’t go home at all and I only went out for my friends birthday, other than that, the Library was my second home. I didn’t leave anything late, I don’t understand how I could of if I do projects.

I don’t want to do a masters, I feel like you didn’t even read my post.
Anonymous #4
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
A 2.2 is fine, while it may stop you from applying to certain grad schemes, there are still plenty of companies out there taking graduates with 2.2 degrees.

A degree is such a small part of a CV, you shouldn't really worry about it. As long as you have employable skills and experience then you will be absolutely fine.

I know so many graduates struggling to find work with first class degrees simply because that's all they have to show for their 3/4 years at university.
What sort of degrees did those first class grads do? And did they not have any part time work experience at least?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Justmac)
I know you are feeling rough OP but at least you made it, uni did not finish you! Lots of people drop out but at least you will make it across that stage. Right now there is nothing you can do to change your grade. If you are still unsure of exactly what you want to do then look at applying for internships or do some volunteering alongside part time work. Start building up your experience and those softer skills. Academia isn't for everyone and that's fine, you gave it your best shot! Honestly take a few days and feel like **** if you want but start planning ahead and thinking about how you can make yourself employable. A degree isn't the be all and end all, experience is also massively important. Just take heart op and think about what you have managed to achieve!
Thanks honestly I’m just going to start improving and working on my portfolio.
arjun gupta fc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

i wouldne be happy either mate that is well and truly a waste of 27k sort it out u dissapointment xx
btw have you got a criminal record, i could get u a job in tesco if u want it zxzxx
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cubone-r)

Hmm I guess experience is important, throughout uni I was working part time at home and also did a placement year in London in the industry were it was originally 3 months and they kept me on. I have previous work experience in the field but they were for short periods of time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (18)
30.51%
No (41)
69.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed