C2 : 93
S1 : 86
Total - 272

For As FMath
Fp1 : 83
D1 : 57
S2 : 77
Total 217

C3 & C4 are 90+ guaranteed, however I’m a bit worried for the A* in Fmaths.

I had a death of a parent March-April, and just recently got back into revision. All have been last minute, lmao.

Anyway,

FP2 went well, scoring around 90-95 UMS.
FP1 also went well, but not as well as FP2. I’d keep it at 83.
D1 went the same, maybe a bit better than last year. I’d say 60.
M1, Jesus Christ, wtf was that paper? I’d say around 70 really.
M2, meh, I dropped 15 or so marks for stupid mistakes. Probably 75 if Grade boundaries are generous. Was expecting 95+.

I’d need 90s in S2 and FP3 which is likely, considering S2 is a resit and pure is my strength.

How would they rearrange my modules? I was thinking for Maths: it’d be C1C2C3C4M1D1
And transfer the S1 to my Further Maths. Is this likely/possible? So I’d still be able to get an A* in Maths, and would make it easier to achieve it in Fmaths.

I’d really appreciate it if you could help me out here?
EnglishNoobC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Bump.

How do they rearrange the modules?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EnglishNoobC)
Bump.

How do they rearrange the modules?
They will maximise your Maths grade first and then your FM grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, long time no see.

For As Maths, my UMS is:

C1 : 93
C2 : 93
S1 : 86
Total - 272

For As FMath
Fp1 : 83
D1 : 57
S2 : 77
Total 217

C3 & C4 are 90+ guaranteed, however I’m a bit worried for the A* in Fmaths.

I had a death of a parent March-April, and just recently got back into revision. All have been last minute, lmao.

Anyway,

FP2 went well, scoring around 90-95 UMS.
FP1 also went well, but not as well as FP2. I’d keep it at 83.
D1 went the same, maybe a bit better than last year. I’d say 60.
M1, Jesus Christ, wtf was that paper? I’d say around 70 really.
M2, meh, I dropped 15 or so marks for stupid mistakes. Probably 75 if Grade boundaries are generous. Was expecting 95+.

I’d need 90s in S2 and FP3 which is likely, considering S2 is a resit and pure is my strength.

How would they rearrange my modules? I was thinking for Maths: it’d be C1C2C3C4M1D1
And transfer the S1 to my Further Maths. Is this likely/possible? So I’d still be able to get an A* in Maths, and would make it easier to achieve it in Fmaths.

I’d really appreciate it if you could help me out here?
Hi, sorry for what you must have gone through.

I'm also doing M & Fm. So normally they would arrange the modules in such a way to maximise your grade in both maths and further maths. But if you don't quite like how they do it, you can ask them to switch it around to alter the grades of maths and further maths how you want it.
EnglishNoobC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
They will maximise your Maths grade first and then your FM grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maximise The Grade or the UMS?
(Original post by Anonymouspsych)
Hi, sorry for what you must have gone through.

I'm also doing M & Fm. So normally they would arrange the modules in such a way to maximise your grade in both maths and further maths. But if you don't quite like how they do it, you can ask them to switch it around to alter the grades of maths and further maths how you want it.
Thank you.

When can I ask to ‘switch’ modules around? Before or after results day?

And also, would this work?
Based on grades and predictions:

Maths: C1C2C3C4M1S1- 522 - A*
FMaths: FP1FP2FP3D1M2S2 - 481 - A*

Although this depends on me getting a 90 in S2. If that doesn’t happen, then it’d drop to B. Would they switch, say D1 and S1, to possibly still get an A?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you.

Although this depends on me getting a 90 in S2. If that doesn’t happen, then it’d drop to B. Would they switch, say D1 and S1, to possibly still get an A?
They maximise the grades not the UMS.

I *think* you have to have an A2 applied module in your A-level Maths.

tagging Compost and gdunne42 for more expertise...
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maximise The Grade or the UMS?

Thank you.

After results say because before that, you don't know how you've done in each module and what the grade outcome will be in maths and fm.

For your maths grade & predictions, this will work only if the sum of the ums of C3 and C4 is greater than or equal to 180 (which you said you can do easily in your previous post). So you should get an A* in maths really.

Further maths is a bit more difficult and different because as well as getting 480 or above, you need to average 90 ums across your best three A2 modules including at least one further pure unit (so fp2 fp3 - also fp4 if u do aqa). So for example you can get 90 average ums over FP2,FP3,M2 or FP2,FP3,S2 or FP2,M2,S2 or FP3,M2,S2. So you really, you want to ace S2 (as stats is like piss compared to mechanics) and 2 of M2,FP2 & FP3.

With your last question, it all depends what you want in further maths and maths. If you really need/want that A in fm then obviously switch the modules to do so but if that simultaneously lowers your maths grade too much, then it may not be worth it. So again it just depends.
Cxletteee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you.

The way maths and further maths works is they maximise your maths grade, then your further maths grade, then your maths UMS. So, if you are able to keep your A* in maths and still get an A/A* in normal maths, it will be automatically done on results day.

However, you should note that only certain combinations are allowed. For normal maths, you need C1/2/3/4 and then 2 applied modules. These can either be 2 "1"s or a 1 and a 2 from the SAME module e.g. M1 and M2, you can't have D1 and M2 but you could have M1 and D1.

In further maths, you will obviously have FP1/FP2/FP3 then 3 applied modules, including at least 1 more that's a "2" or a "3" as you need 3 "2"s or "3s" in your FM a level (but you will have to have that).

So yes, it is likely D1/M1 will be in normal maths if they're you're worse applied modules and still keep your grade at A*, and S1 will move over.

I do OCR maths and FM and this is all on their website if you want to look it up; I assume it's the same for other exam boards but if not I'm sure you can find out. Good luck with results and I'm sorry to hear about your situation - if you're going to uni/an apprenticeship and need these grades, let them know (I assume you have already but in case you haven't, they may reduce grade requirements given your loss).
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maths has to contain C1-4 and then any 2 unit 1s (e.g. M1 and D1) or a matching letter pair of 1 and 2 (e.g. S1 & S2)
FM has to contain FP1, at least 1 from FP2 and FP3 and anything else not used in Maths to make 6 units in total.

When allocating the applied units they maximise (in this order):
  1. Maths grade
  2. FM grade
  3. Maths UMS

The rules are all here:https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/...ce-for-centres
The maximisation of your grades will happen automatically as long as your school got the admin right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads