The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Huddersfield Accommodation choices: Decide Smart, Save Time & Money

You’re about to start Huddersfield University, congratulations.
While I can guarantee you will enjoy a multitude of experiences in the small town, I want to give you some awareness to make informed decisions. I’m only going to state some experiences and facts here so decide smart.

Why you shouldn’t book Digs Accommodation
£85+ per week for rent… houses and flats in Huddersfield are £70+ and you will never have to worry about the £6 taxi back to Storthes or Ashenhurst.
Storthes bus after 9pm is £2.50 regardless of if you have a bus pass (£30 for the year).
The costs add up quick in a week with Costcutter binges, late night buses and taxis amounting to over £95 and looking at the environment I wouldn’t be shocked if it went pass the £100 on any given week.

So that’s the financial part done but what about time?
The buses... on two occasions it took 15 minutes to University but 85% of trips back to Storthes Hall have been over an hour, once was 105 minutes.
Waiting 30 minutes & missing the bus by seconds carrying shopping… it’s safe to say you will save over 60 minutes of your average day by not living so far away (Storthes is 4.5miles for the drivers).

What about Events and facilities?
Storthes has the Venue and Huddersfield town has the clubs (clubs that you will pay a taxi to reach and pay entry fees, all adding up again) so you won’t miss out by living in town.
University societies meet in Town, group work is in town, employment opportunities and lectures are all in town. I’m trying to be concise but basically Storthes is good for one thing… it’s a student village, it’s made to be isolated and get as much money from students as it can.

My Journey
Lived in Storthes 1st year, Aspley 2nd year. £111 for double then £124 for double. Biggest waste of money. Town houses/flat are same size for around £80 and still have the option of living with strangers.
For the money I was spending for the storage capacity of all my stuff I could live in the really luxury rooms within the modern new-builds in town.
Had more time 2nd year to join societies, get involved more and everyone goes to Big Aspley for pre-drinks anyway (actually spent more time there in 1st year anyway).

If you haven’t already booked an accommodation yet, look for houses (Bills-Inlcuded) as £85 gets you better than Storthes or Aspley in my opinion and you’ll meet people that live there anyway (trust me, the novelty wears off pretty fast).

So to recap
Storthes: Not value for money, far from University, weekly cost increased, travel times vary wildly, events are University so good luck getting there on time.
Living in town: access everything by foot, spend less money, opportunities, more time for everything else.

Hope this helped. You will be many forums surrounding Storthes and it’s cons to student life but it’s your choice to make an informed decision.
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending