OCR A Level Physics A Comparison to Legacy Spec

Watch this thread
SkylineS4
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm currently in year 12 sitting for my mock exams. Right now I'm doing the old spec OCR AS papers as I want to save the current AS papers till last.
How do they compare with the new spec? I know the new spec has multiple choice questions
I have been getting low As/high Bs but really want to get a high A, any ideas on how to improve?
username1765117
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I just finished doing the A-Level physics for this exam board (thank god) and generally I think the old spec papers are pretty similar in terms of content. The main difference is that the old spec was a much easier style of questions. Basically it’s always: here’s a scenario, do a definition, do some calculations and maybe write out some explanations. For the new A-Level papers it’s much weirder and it usually wants you to predict what will happen in a wacky scenario. There is way less definitions and explanation questions. The best advice I can give you for new spec is there is 100% no point revising practicals because the ones you did for PAGs never come up like they did in old spec, it’s always some insane puzzle thing that no one would have thought of.
JxckD
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Ive just completed the 2018 OCR physics Alevel, all three papers, and I can tell you the new specification from 2016/17 onward is systematically harder. Micheal gove decided GCE exams in general were too easy and that is why GCSEs now have parts of alevel in them and alevel have parts of degree level in them. Multi-choice is a sheep in wolfs clothing, people assume they must be easier than stand alone questions as they give you the answer, but for giving you the answer the question can be very difficult and can take a fare bit of time for a 1 marker. One saving grace you will see when you look at this years 2018 papers vs 2017 is that they really did tone down the unified paper 3 as last years was so difficult I believe 12 marks was a pass.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (102)
39.69%
The paper was reasonable (120)
46.69%
Not feeling great about that exam... (23)
8.95%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
4.67%

Watched Threads