physconomics
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Battery has an EMF of 9V (negligible internal resistance), A and C each have a resistance of 6 ohms and B and D each have a resistance of 3 ohms.Name:  C741E2F5-7847-40F3-BE8E-DFCF9F7EC212.jpg.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  26.9 KB

Thank you
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by physconomics)
Battery has an EMF of 9V (negligible internal resistance), A and C each have a resistance of 6 ohms and B and D each have a resistance of 3 ohms.Name:  C741E2F5-7847-40F3-BE8E-DFCF9F7EC212.jpg.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  26.9 KB

Thank you
The resistances of lamps A and B are in series and form a potential divider. The same is true for lamps C and D.

Lamp E is placed across the mid points of these potential dividers.

Calculate both mid point p.d.'s and subtract to find the actual p.d. across lamp E.

Then rearrange P = V^2/R for each lamp to find the power dissipated in each and therefore relative brightness.
physconomics
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
The resistances of lamps A and B are in series and form a potential divider. The same is true for lamps C and D.

Lamp E is placed across the mid points of these potential dividers.

Calculate both mid point p.d.'s and subtract to find the actual p.d. across lamp E.

Then rearrange P = V^2/R for each lamp to find the power dissipated in each and therefore relative brightness.
A and B together in series have a resistance together of 9 ohms. C and D together also have a resistance of 9 ohms. Would this mean the pd across E would be zero? Thanks for your reply
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These questions are made easier if you remember Kirchhoff's 2nd law. Sum of potential differences across each circuit loop is equal to sum of electromotive force supplied.

A and B together in series have a resistance together of 9 ohms. C and D together also have a resistance of 9 ohms. Would this mean the pd across E would be zero? Thanks for your reply
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The series resistance of both A,B and C,D is 9 ohms.

Now calculate the current through each series path. Use those currents to find the p.d. across the resistors A,B,C,D.

Because the ratios of the resistors A,B & C,D are identical, the p.d.'s wrt either of the battery terminals at the divider mid-points, will also be identical. The difference in potential across lamp E is therefore zero. No p.d. means no current through lamp E.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
24.09%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.64%