The Student Room Group

Left hand piano scales

I'm currently struggling with practising left hand piano scales so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to practice/learn them properly. I'm naturally right handed which is making things harder :/ Thanks
I'd say the only real way to learn them is to practise them slowly over and over again. I've played the viola since I was about 7 and the piano for 4 years and I've learnt this is the most effective way! However, if you feel like your brain is getting a bit bored and not really focusing try some Hanon exercises in the key of the scale. That way you still practise the notes and fingering but it just shakes things up a bit :smile:

If you're unsure about the fingering, ask your teacher, and make sure you do the same fingering every time! Also, prioritise your left hand, even when you're not practising scales. Because the right hand gets the melody most of the time, it gets stronger and more fluent. Even if the left hand part is really boring, make sure you practise it separately!

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ellenfasham
I'd say the only real way to learn them is to practise them slowly over and over again. I've played the viola since I was about 7 and the piano for 4 years and I've learnt this is the most effective way! However, if you feel like your brain is getting a bit bored and not really focusing try some Hanon exercises in the key of the scale. That way you still practise the notes and fingering but it just shakes things up a bit :smile:

If you're unsure about the fingering, ask your teacher, and make sure you do the same fingering every time! Also, prioritise your left hand, even when you're not practising scales. Because the right hand gets the melody most of the time, it gets stronger and more fluent. Even if the left hand part is really boring, make sure you practise it separately!

Hope this helped :smile:

Cheers! Is fingering important because I can get the right notes but I can't do the left hand fingering pattern I've been taught so I was just wondering if it's something I should fix lol
Original post by natty_b
Cheers! Is fingering important because I can get the right notes but I can't do the left hand fingering pattern I've been taught so I was just wondering if it's something I should fix lol

Whatever works for you should be fine, as long as you do the same thing every time and there is some kind of sense to it haha! But in exams and stuff they really don't care :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ellenfasham
Whatever works for you should be fine, as long as you do the same thing every time and there is some kind of sense to it haha! But in exams and stuff they really don't care :smile:

OK, cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending