username3919992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
You're probably thinking that this is another thread where I have not revised yet. Don't worry I have revised from start of year 12 but not past papers.
The problem is that a lot of people on TSR say that when you do a past paper, mark it and identify the areas you got wrong and do as many questions as you can on those areas. Well, I started past papers a week ago and do not have time to do a lot of questions on the areas that I got wrong as I want to do every past paper(old spec ones). What are the actual point of past papers? What's the solution ?
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The point of past papers is to see what the questions will be like, as exam questions are really similar every year. They also give an idea of how long the exam will take you and where you should spend more time. I'm not an expert on this, but I think the solution would be to understand why you made the mistakes you made and how you could improve them. You don't have to do many specific practice questions on the mistakes you made unless you have time, and that is often less productive than just understanding why you made the mistake.
username3919992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by theJoyfulGeek)
The point of past papers is to see what the questions will be like, as exam questions are really similar every year. They also give an idea of how long the exam will take you and where you should spend more time. I'm not an expert on this, but I think the solution would be to understand why you made the mistakes you made and how you could improve them. You don't have to do many specific practice questions on the mistakes you made unless you have time, and that is often less productive than just understanding why you made the mistake.
Not for the news spec their not lol. But thanks
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ilovebiology...)
Not for the news spec their not lol. But thanks
Good luck with your mocks! I'm sure you'll do really well!
candyflossman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The exams are designed to test your knowledge and application of the subject. For biology you should have a lab practical, 7-10 question in the exam on different topics and an essay based question. You should be perfectly capable of viewing the biology specification and writing a page on each topic. Try finding a revision partner to review everything and try a few past papers to fill any gaps in your knowledge then recap it. Ask a teacher or fellow pupil if you still feel unsure. Or ask around on TSR, good luck!

• 1. Cell biology
  • 2. Organisation
  • 3. Infection and response
  • 4. Bioenergetics
  • 5. Homeostasis and response
  • 6. Inheritance, variation and evolution
  • 7. Ecology
  • 8. Key ideas

Extracurricular reading around a subject will go a long way in your essay writing and separate a person with an A from an A*.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.49%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
55.49%
No (71)
39.01%

Watched Threads