randomsheep11
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, in the future I would really want to work in the NHS in some sort of way but I'm unsure of what to do.

I'm in Year 12 (predicted AABC if I really work hard) and am studying: Chemistry, Biology, French and Core Maths.

I am unsure if I want to one day become a: Doctor, Nurse, Physician's Associate or Paramedic. All I know is that I want to do something (even though I doubt I'd ever be able to be a doctor as it's so competitive).

Could I do a BSC in Biomedical Science and then be eligible to study a masters in: Paramedical Science, (Adult) Nursing or Physician's Associate Studies?

I know PA-Studies requires you to have a BSC in a biological science, but what about the other two? I don't want to close off any options you see.

I feel like whilst doing my Biomedical Science degree, I would hopefully be able to make up my about the matter.

Thanks
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
I think you're making life complicated for yourself by choosing to go down the path of knowing you'll be doing a second degree.
I know but I'd want to do a masters anyway, and I don't think I'm ready to decide on which path I want to take. Also, Biomedical Science would open up the research route to me aswell (even though I don't think I'd like that). But I don't know if it would make me eligible to do a Masters in one of the subjects stated above...
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
I understand. I'm applying to medicine as a graduate. I don't regret having already completed a degree because I was in no way ready to study medicine at 18 (and didn't want to) and going through university has matured me a lot and given me experiences and opportunities that will be useful in the future.

The ones you've mentioned are all standalone degrees (even PA can be studied as a undergraduate degree at UCLan), but can also be studied as second degrees and you'd probably get funding for all of them (not sure about PA) as they are healthcare courses. Tbh Biomedical Science will keep a lot of doors open for you, even medicine. Also, you can study PA with more than just a biology BSc.
Oh ok thank you for explaining that, I think I'll go for the Biomedical Science Bsc, and good luck with getting into Medicine
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
With Nursing you're in a far better position to go Undergraduate Nursing first and then do any postgraduate study. Don't damper your employment prospects as a nurse by messing around. Physician's Associate does have a longer undergraduate option. Paramedic Science does have an undergraduate option too.
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
With Nursing you're in a far better position to go Undergraduate Nursing first and then do any postgraduate study. Don't damper your employment prospects as a nurse by messing around. Physician's Associate does have a longer undergraduate option. Paramedic Science does have an undergraduate option too.
Could you explain why for nursing in particular, doing it as a masters instead of a bachelors would affect my employment prospects? I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just wondering how that works out.
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
I don't understand this. A masters is (usually) a one year postgraduate degree and a nursing masters is usually done by nurses. If you want to be a nurse, you'd have to do the Nursing BSc whether you have a prior degree or not.

@RegisteredBMS means that you'd study BSc Nursing as a first degree, and then supplement that with postgraduate study, such as a masters in whatever field of nursing you wanted. Or even postgraduate study in something completely different.

The same goes for Paramedic Science.
I understand what you're saying, but for this course at Surrey (the one I'm looking to do):
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduat...ing-pgdip-2018 It says:
"A first degree (second class honours, minimum) which has been achieved within the last five years.A science degree is preferred (bioscience, behavioural or social science)." under the entry requirements section. But it also says you need recent practice in a health care role. Would that mean I could just do some volunteering in a nursing home/care home? I'll ask on the open day anyway but would that be enough?
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
What about this bit:

"Individuals who have an undergraduate or higher degree in a relevant subject, normally obtained within the last five years, and experience of working in a health care environment.

Applicants are required to demonstrate that they have worked for a minimum of 700 hours within a paid healthcare role, gained within a year of commencing the programme."
Oh I see, I guess I really need to think about what I'm doing for my Bsc now, but thank you for the help.
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by randomsheep11)
Could you explain why for nursing in particular, doing it as a masters instead of a bachelors would affect my employment prospects? I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just wondering how that works out.
Because who's more employable somebody with a nursing undergraduate and then a more specific or somebody with a generic undergraduate degree and a broad nursing masters.
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That and also I'm pretty sure nursing masters are meant for qualified nurses anyway.
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Ok so I went to the open day at Surrey and talked to the head of Nursing. She said I could do Biomedical science undergraduate, to post grad Nursing as long as I do something like volunteering in a care home/hospice during my biomed course (she says 600-700 hours). Tbh, I might just do undergraduate nursing anyway as I don't like laboratory work.
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by randomsheep11)
Ok so I went to the open day at Surrey and talked to the head of Nursing. She said I could do Biomedical science undergraduate, to post grad Nursing as long as I do something like volunteering in a care home/hospice during my biomed course (she says 600-700 hours). Tbh, I might just do undergraduate nursing anyway as I don't like laboratory work.
Feels like you was wanting to create a load of unnecessary faff for no reason. If you want to be a nurse do a nursing degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed