The Student Room Group

GDL Start Date

I’m currently a second year history student looking at gaining a sponsorship from a law firm to complete my GDL. The majority of applications for a 2020 training contract have deadlines coming up in July. Does this mean that the GDL would start in 2020 and then continue on to a training contract, or would I start the GDL in 2019 to start the training contract in 2020. It seems to be that the latter would be the case but would just like to clear it up. Thanks
Original post by webbjack
I’m currently a second year history student looking at gaining a sponsorship from a law firm to complete my GDL. The majority of applications for a 2020 training contract have deadlines coming up in July. Does this mean that the GDL would start in 2020 and then continue on to a training contract, or would I start the GDL in 2019 to start the training contract in 2020. It seems to be that the latter would be the case but would just like to clear it up. Thanks

The date mentioned is the date you would start working for them. 2020 would be for non-law grads graduating now.
As a non-law student you usually apply when you have graduated, but firms will specify the dates when they consider applications.
Be aware the whole training process is changing, so both the GDL and LPC will be merged into the SQE in 2020. Looks like you could be one of the last to do GDL in 2019.

https://www.lawcareers.net/Information/Features/13062017-The-Solicitors-Qualifying-Examination-what-we-know-so-far

Quick Reply

Latest