The Student Room Group

Fat

My parents keep telling me I'm fat. My BMI is slightly overweight but nowhere near obese. I've tried telling them that it hurts; I've tried telling them to f*ck off (in a nicer way). What should I do? I don't want to, but I'm planning on refusing to eat anything so I lose weight and I'll only drink water. Is there anything I can try before doing this?

Scroll to see replies

They’re definitely not helping. Obviously it’s hard to just ignore them, so I’d say think carefully about where you want to be in say, a years time. If you don’t care about weight, I’d be tempted just to deliberately gain more weight so as not to give in to their bullying. Obviuosly it’s not physically good to be overweight but giving in to bullying tends to make the bullying worse.

If you want to lose weight however, definitely don’t stop eating (that’s a terrible thing to do for your health). Instead, you should go in a diet. Not taking in calories is the best way to lose weight after all. My recommendation, having tried it myself, would be the 5:2 diet: essentially eat a normal amount on 5 days of the week and have “fast days” where you skip breakfast and only have a small lunch, aiming for about a quarter of your normal calorie intake. Also avoid snacks between meals, though non-alcoholic and low-sugar drinks are ok.

Currently I’m on the 5:2 diet. Started at 91.0kg 3 weeks ago, now at 86.2kg. Target is 85.9kg for healthy BMI and then hopefully to continue down. All in all it’s been a good time.
Well, you could work out...
just say you couldnt give a ****
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Ive tried.
tell them stfu *****es , so what if im fat (even tho ur not) - im proud!!!
Reply 6

Ive tried.
As long as you’re healthy, and have a healthy diet and exercise regularly, that’s all that matters, your health is more important than appearance, that means that you shouldn’t fast and just drink water, this can cause many problems. I’m not a doctor, so obviously can’t take responsibility for anything, butBMI isn’t the best way to measure weight as you could be muscly and short, and you would be considered overweight. Really you should see your doctor as they will know what is good for your height and health status etc.
I bet u r a great size...just lovable and cuddly. U parents are exactly the same as mine....but they never listen to me, so i have been driven off the edge into insanity, so i am mentally ill because of this! Make sure to stay happy with who u r...if ur not happy then change until u r happy with how u look! Good luck!
Maybe try going to a gym and just slightly cutting down on calories, it's not healthy to just stop eating. If you don't want to go to a gym, then maybe have a 30 minute walk everyday and try just doing some workouts in your bedroom.
Reply 10
My parents keep telling me I'm fat. My BMI is slightly overweight but nowhere near obese. I've tried telling them that it hurts; I've tried telling them to f*ck off (in a nicer way). What should I do? I don't want to, but I'm planning on refusing to eat anything so I lose weight and I'll only drink water. Is there anything I can try before doing this?

It's your body, it's no one's right to body-shame you. Just be accepting of your body and don't change it unless you're willing to because you want to and not because someone else wants you to change it!
I don't think you're parents approached this in the right way to be honest, but being overweight isn't good. My best advice would be to ask a doctor. Like others have said, BMI isn't the best indicator but a doctor can give you better advice on if you really need to lose weight or not. If they say you don't then you can turn round to your parents and say that a medical professional has said you're fine. If they say you do need to lose a bit then please listen to them. It's not about appearances- if a doctor tells you to lose weight then it's not about the way you look or their personal opinion on how people should look but one that's looking out for your health.

Also, don't starve yourself. That's stupid and will cause problems!

I'm sorry your parents are causing you to feel hurt, that must be really horrible
Hi. Thanks for all the replies/help/advice so far. It means a lot.
I'm not concerned about my appearance. I'm 16 years old and 60kg. I know I'm overweight but not by much. I don't know how to lose weight though because I have a disability so can't exercise (I'm in a wheelchair and can't stand).
My parents have now told me that I'm only allowed to drink water and I'm not allowed to eat any chips, bread, crisps, garlic bread or nuts (my favourite foods). And I'm only allowed 2 meals each day.
So, I've decided - I'm going on a hunger strike (or whatever its called), even though I have 2 exams next week. I don't know how I'll manage but I'll find a way.
I'm not the one up for fat acceptance but I also disagree with fat shaming. Since you are not even obese according to your BMI (though it isn't the best of measurements it's still useful if you're not a gym lad/gal). I'd say that since you're on the borderline of normal weight and overweight, just lose some body fat by a small calorie deficit. Once you're done, just sit down your parents and show them your BMI. If they still continue, it's best to find new parents.

Though it depends on the nature of how they say it, did they say it in a joking way? I remember being a fat little blob back in secondary, and literally everyone in my family use to make fun out of me for being fat, but I never really cared. They joked around and I just took it, yh I cried like a little b*tch here and there but I persevered. Then puberty came along and I had a growth spurt where my height pretty much compensated for the fat and then add the muscle growth in and I was pretty much the least fat looking guy in my family. From Eric Cartman to a 6ft 2 mad lad.

Today I'm the one making all the jokes
Original post by Sahyun
I'm not the one up for fat acceptance but I also disagree with fat shaming. Since you are not even obese according to your BMI (though it isn't the best of measurements it's still useful if you're not a gym lad/gal). I'd say that since you're on the borderline of normal weight and overweight, just lose some body fat by a small calorie deficit. Once you're done, just sit down your parents and show them your BMI. If they still continue, it's best to find new parents.

Though it depends on the nature of how they say it, did they say it in a joking way? I remember being a fat little blob back in secondary, and literally everyone in my family use to make fun out of me for being fat, but I never really cared. They joked around and I just took it, yh I cried like a little b*tch here and there but I persevered. Then puberty came along and I had a growth spurt where my height pretty much compensated for the fat and then add the muscle growth in and I was pretty much the least fat looking guy in my family. From Eric Cartman to a 6ft 2 mad lad.

Today I'm the one making all the jokes

I don't go to the gym.
Yesterday,my dad came home from work and before even saying hello to me he tells me that i'm fat and need to lose a lot of weight.
I don't think I eat a lot either - say I'm having fish fingers for dinner, I'll have 4 fish fingers, some mushy peas and 3 slices of garlic bread. I only have 1 course when going out for a meal. I've shown them my BMI and they said it's not important. I'm a 16 year old male and weigh 60kg.
I can't really find new parents.
Do you think going on a hunger strike will p*ss them off or make them realise how much they are hurting me? I've tried talking to them but they won't let me speak they just shut me down and tell me how fat I am.
Now I'm refusing to speak to my dad apart from telling him to f off when he starts speaking to me (I don't normally swear but I'm sick of them now)
I don't go to the gym.
Yesterday,my dad came home from work and before even saying hello to me he tells me that i'm fat and need to lose a lot of weight.
I don't think I eat a lot either - say I'm having fish fingers for dinner, I'll have 4 fish fingers, some mushy peas and 3 slices of garlic bread. I only have 1 course when going out for a meal. I've shown them my BMI and they said it's not important. I'm a 16 year old male and weigh 60kg.
I can't really find new parents.
Do you think going on a hunger strike will p*ss them off or make them realise how much they are hurting me? I've tried talking to them but they won't let me speak they just shut me down and tell me how fat I am.
Now I'm refusing to speak to my dad apart from telling him to f off when he starts speaking to me (I don't normally swear but I'm sick of them now)

Damn that's horrible dude. You're weight's perfectly fine, idk what kind of complex your parents have but for now I'd say it is best to not take their remarks so seriously, it will be hard but the more you react in a serious way, the more they will taunt you. Find ways to turn these situations into carefree ones. Play their game and beat them at it. A hunger strike would do more harm than good. Don't be stiff about this, rather be flexible with them. Or perhaps if they're that desperate for you to cut down in fat, just ask them to pay for your gym membership and pretend to go if you so wish.
This is emotional abuse from your parents I can’t beleive people are actually telling you to lose weight and advising diets you’re all idiots.

Bmi is silly. My bmi is obese, nobody in my whole life has ever called me fat, if you look at me you would never think I’m fat, I don’t think I’m fat, and my doctor says I’m completely healthy with a perfect blood sugar and normal cholesterol levels. Nobody should listen to bmi it’s a load of *******s.

They can’t stop you eating, your parents are abusing you. Tell your teachers what they’re doing
This is emotional abuse from your parents I can’t beleive people are actually telling you to lose weight and advising diets you’re all idiots.

Bmi is silly. My bmi is obese, nobody in my whole life has ever called me fat, if you look at me you would never think I’m fat, I don’t think I’m fat, and my doctor says I’m completely healthy with a perfect blood sugar and normal cholesterol levels. Nobody should listen to bmi it’s a load of *******s.

They can’t stop you eating, your parents are abusing you. Tell your teachers what they’re doing

I wouldn't say they are stopping me from eating, but they, in the past 2 days, are giving me tiny portions (2 fish fingers and a slice of bread and butter for dinner!).
It wouldn't do any harm for me to lose a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest