The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Sociology grade boundaries low

For example, last year it was about 75% to get an A*, whereas for many other A Level subjects it is around 90%. So why are the grade boundaries for Sociology A Level so low?
Original post by Tigerking99
For example, last year it was about 75% to get an A*, whereas for many other A Level subjects it is around 90%. So why are the grade boundaries for Sociology A Level so low?

I think people take sociology for granted when it's actually a somewhat difficult subject with a great deal of content and because of this students tend to struggle in exams with large mark questions like 30 markers. And grade boundaries for most other subjects are also similar to grade boundaries in sociology, with the maximum boundary for A* at around 80%.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nadeemharis410
I think people take sociology for granted when it's actually a somewhat difficult subject with a great deal of content and because of this students tend to struggle in exams with large mark questions like 30 markers. And grade boundaries for most other subjects are also similar to grade boundaries in sociology, with the maximum boundary for A* at around 80%.

I am a Sociology A Level student myself, and I just finished my exams. I have been getting A*s in my Sociology mocks. However, I also study Politics and English Language A Levels, and I find those two subjects harder (especially English). I am more interested in Politics and in my opinion it is a much harder subject as the content is more abstract and philosophical in particular A2. Furthermore, the grade boundaries for Politics (under Edexcel) are really high i.e. 90% for an A*.

I don't think that Sociology is incredibly easy. However, in my opinion it is easier in contrast to many A Levels such as Politics. Firstly, this is because the actual content itself isn't as hard to grasp even if there is a lot to cover. Secondly, the grade boundaries are lower than a lot of other subjects.
Original post by Tigerking99
I am a Sociology A Level student myself, and I just finished my exams. I have been getting A*s in my Sociology mocks. However, I also study Politics and English Language A Levels, and I find those two subjects harder (especially English). I am more interested in Politics and in my opinion it is a much harder subject as the content is more abstract and philosophical in particular A2. Furthermore, the grade boundaries for Politics (under Edexcel) are really high i.e. 90% for an A*.

I don't think that Sociology is incredibly easy. However, in my opinion it is easier in contrast to many A Levels such as Politics. Firstly, this is because the actual content itself isn't as hard to grasp even if there is a lot to cover. Secondly, the grade boundaries are lower than a lot of other subjects.

An A* last year in A level English was 80% and an A* in A level History was 75% last year so there clearly isn't much of a difference between essay subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest