The Student Room Group

Picking my GCSE's

I have always wished to be a doctor....i just wanted to ask if these options sound okay:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Music
Latin
Classical civilization

I chose a creative subject and classical civilization is fun...so i wanted to know if that sounded alright! Thanks!
GCSEs aren't really an issue, you need like to get the grades to be able to take Maths, Biology and chemistry at a A-level and thats it, your GCSE options genuinely won't make a difference,
Reply 2
Original post by MasochistMatthew
I have always wished to be a doctor....i just wanted to ask if these options sound okay:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Music
Latin
Classical civilization

I chose a creative subject and classical civilization is fun...so i wanted to know if that sounded alright! Thanks!

i hate it when i see kids asking "what should i pick for gcses", mate, it does not matter, a levels are what you should worry about.
Totally agree with this. GCSE choices don't matter one bit. It's only A level choices which count if you want to study medicine.
Original post by YD17HXM
i hate it when i see kids asking "what should i pick for gcses", mate, it does not matter, a levels are what you should worry about.
Like the above have mentioned, your GCSEs choices have little impact on the success of your medicine application. As long as you have English, Maths and 3 Sciences, it really doesn't matter what you choose. This applies for most careers really, it's the A-Levels that matter.
Ohhh...THANKS A LOT!!! My parents worried me that GCSE is the most important thing in ur life!
I would bear in mind that history is quite difficult (imo), just because of the amount of information you have to remember, music has lots of coursework and you might have to spend time after school composing, and generally only private schools do latin so you may have to put in more effort to get top grades. Your choices are fine, but for medicine, what matters more is the grades you get. I wouldn’t personally do both history and latin because there’s lots to remember (much more than other subjects) and I’m not very good at essays.
I don’t see how your options are related in any way to being a doctor lol. But you should choose your a level ones wisely though as they decide your future path
Literally no uni looks at ur gcse subjects to decide to give u an offer or not
Reply 9
I met a Doctor recently who did Latin and she said it helped her no end, as a lot of the medicines and names of illnesses are in the language. I agree with English, maths, all the sciences, and Latin but do be aware of your work load though, so you don't spread yourself too thin.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Purdy7
I met a Doctor recently who did Latin and she said it helped her no end, as a lot of the medicines and names of illnesses are in the language. I agree with English, maths, all the sciences, and Latin but do be aware of your work load though, so you don't spread yourself too thin.

Thanks so much for caring about my health and well being!
Do subjects which you know you can get good grades in, all that matters is that you get the grades to go to sixth form and study your desired subjects. As other people have said, GCSE's are really nothing to be worrying about in terms of which ones will help you out after GCSE's, mainly because the content in each course is extremely insignificant in comparison to the content in A-level.

There is not much you can do at this point in your life to help you study medicine so my best advice would be to study hard in the core subjects with plenty of revision before the final exams so that you can secure yourself for the next 2 very important years of your life.
Of course. As long as you're doing maths and science it doesn't matter as these are what you need to do at a level to be a doctor. Your options are fine

Quick Reply

Latest