18 too young?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is 18 too young to get married? I know friends who are already engaged or married and people seem sceptical that it will last.
username3941996
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is 18 too young to get married? I know friends who are already engaged or married and people seem sceptical that it will last.
You could but then you would have a hard time spending time with each other. Education will take up a lot of time. Do you have a boyfriend or someone who is interested in marriage?
username3947342
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Yes, dont marry at that age. Why dont you just stay with your significant other for another few years and see... Theres not much point in getting married before then.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ProRoadman)
You could but then you would have a hard time spending time with each other. Education will take up a lot of time. Do you have a boyfriend or someone who is interested in marriage?
Yeah. But like you think, education is going to eat up a load of my time. I'm taking a gap year before uni to relax and get a job before diving back in to education. It was never something I thought about before.

(Original post by Afforestation)
Yes, dont marry at that age. Why dont you just stay with your significant other for another few years and see... Theres not much point in getting married before then.
I'm not really in a situation which I could. It's really looked down upon to even have a significant other in my culture( which I personally find stupid). For them ( the culture) , getting a divorce is like breaking up with your bf/gf.
username3947342
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yeah. But like you think, education is going to eat up a load of my time. I'm taking a gap year before uni to relax and get a job before diving back in to education. It was never something I thought about before.

I'm not really in a situation which I could. It's really looked down upon to even have a significant other in my culture( which I personally find stupid). For them ( the culture) , getting a divorce is like breaking up with your bf/gf.
So youre talking about forced marriage?
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
yeah. you're teenage years and 20s are to have as much fun as you want and to sleep around, not to settle down and be a bore. otherwise you'll look back in your middle-aged and realise that you've just been with one person your whole life
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Afforestation)
So youre talking about forced marriage?
Nonono. I'm saying having a bf/gf is looked down in my culture because of the fact you aren't married. I mean I've had them but without anyone else knowing. I was just wondering if it was too young to make a commitment like that.
username3941996
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Nonono. I'm saying having a bf/gf is looked down in my culture because of the fact you aren't married. I mean I've had them but without anyone else knowing. I was just wondering if it was too young to make a commitment like that.
What type of culture is this?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by goggleyed)
yeah. you're teenage years and 20s are to have as much fun as you want and to sleep around, not to settle down and be a bore. otherwise you'll look back in your middle-aged and realise that you've just been with one person your whole life
Can't and don't really want to sleep around but I was thinking about whether it would make me feel like I was throwing away my teenage years and 20s and missing out on all the fun.
username3947342
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I could only ever recommend it if you had some sort of proof that you are really for each other haha
Anonymous #1
What type of culture is this?
Just really religious and the one that thinks relations outside of marriage are bad.
username3941996
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Just really religious and the one that thinks relations outside of marriage are bad.
So you have a boyfriend your parents don’t know about?
Anonymous #1
I have in the past but I don't see the point of having a relationship with someone I don't intend marrying.
Anonymous #1
So you have a boyfriend your parents don’t know about?
I have in the past but I don't see the point of having a relationship with someone I don't intend marrying.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
the problem is FOMO. people have too many options these days; they don't commit to anything the way they did in the past, not their marriages, not even their jobs. plus kids are 'growing up' much later in life. so yeah, 18 is far too young for most people.
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I’m getting married in a month and my partner and I are both 19. There’s no path that’s right for everyone; my partner and I have been together for many years and being with him will always be more fun for me than sleeping around would be. I really don’t understand all the negativity about getting married young that is voiced online, I appreciate that for most people getting married later on is a better choice but each situation is different. I feel that my partner and I will have more time to spend together whilst we’re at uni (we start in September) than we will in full time jobs later in life. I feel lucky to be able to spend my youth with him and work on building our lives together right from the start.
username3941996
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Do they expect to marry a man? Does he have to be form a particular religion and country as well? Honestly this sounds very backwards. Its OK in other countries but since you are in the UK, its does not feel right. They can't force you to marry a person who you've never met.
Anonymous #1
Do they expect to marry a man? Does he have to be form a particular religion and country as well? Honestly this sounds very backwards. Its OK in other countries but since you are in the UK, its does not feel right. They can't force you to marry a person who you've never met.
Sorry I think I totally confused you, my fault. I was saying they don't like the concept of having a bf/gf. Forced marriage is not even on the table. They want me to marry someone of the same religion preferably but that's about it. It was quite common in the previous generation to get married in your late teens early twenties but I'm gonna marry someone who I want to get married to.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 899071)
I’m getting married in a month and my partner and I are both 19. There’s no path that’s right for everyone; my partner and I have been together for many years and being with him will always be more fun for me than sleeping around would be. I really don’t understand all the negativity about getting married young that is voiced online, I appreciate that for most people getting married later on is a better choice but each situation is different. I feel that my partner and I will have more time to spend together whilst we’re at uni (we start in September) than we will in full time jobs later in life. I feel lucky to be able to spend my youth with him and work on building our lives together right from the start.
This was what I was talking about. I'd love to spend as much time as I can with them but is it too early to start? Do you have any doubts at all about that?
username3941996
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Sorry I think I totally confused you, my fault. I was saying they don't like the concept of having a bf/gf. Forced marriage is not even on the table. They want me to marry someone of the same religion preferably but that's about it. It was quite common in the previous generation to get married in your late teens early twenties but I'm gonna marry someone who I want to get married to.
OH. I mean having a gf/bf is not really bad since you just can't marry someone you haven;t spent time with. It sounds like you are from a South Asian culture (Not that there's wrong with that) so your parents would seem a lot more strict with relationships. Since you are more liberal than your parents, having a early marriage isn't the best idea so i understand.
X
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
23.53%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (11)
32.35%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
8.82%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
17.65%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
5.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads