Whattondo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, my son was really excites about joining the army. Going to harrogate training school. But his granddad is doing everything to talk him out of it saying he will be shot at. He isn't going in for frontline he wants to do some sort of engineering.
What are people's views on being behind the scenes so to speak and not being shot at
Decipher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depending on where they send him safe might be different depending on the situation and the location. But he should be safe, and understandably his grandpa is worried about him.
There are a lot of chefs, medics and engineers who serve the army on the back lines and not in the frontlines, but things might happen and he might end up in a dangerous situation. Being a part of the behind the scenes, isn't always 100% safe, form what I've heard and seen.
Whattondo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Decipher)
Depending on where they send him safe might be different depending on the situation and the location. But he should be safe, and understandably his grandpa is worried about him.
There are a lot of chefs, medics and engineers who serve the army on the back lines and not in the frontlines, but things might happen and he might end up in a dangerous situation. Being a part of the behind the scenes, isn't always 100% safe, form what I've heard and seen.
Yes he's understandably worries as am I. He's been in the army himself but many years ago. I have friends who have partners in army/raf that are "behind the scenes" and also have only been posted twice in 10 years. Yes I fear for my son but I'm also incredibly proud of him. There's risks in any job you do or even commuting to work but my dad says that it's unnecessary risk
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The military is never, like many professions, ever going to be 100% safe. However, the quality of training provided is there to mitigate the risks present to as low as possible, and the British Army's training is as good as it gets regardless of whether you are with the Combat Arms, Combat Support Arms or the Combat Service Support Arms.

It's a very good career option if he chooses a professional role profile that suits his aims and ambitions. Family will always worry about those they ove and try to guide them down what they feel is the correct path but perhaps his Granddad needs to be reminded that part of growing up is being allowed to make your own decisions and instead he should perhaps support him in his future adventure.

If the Military doesn't work out for him and he manages to get the grades for it, the MoD also runs several Engineering Apprenticeship schemes that would allow him exposure to working around the Military and there's always the Reserves or joining properly later in life

Best of luck to him.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you can get hurt in any job... the Army provides a great career if your son is suitable.
Ikaruss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As others have said, at some point you have to let your son make his own decisions. The modern armed forces should be looked upon as a finishing school, where potential will be unlocked and developed. A few years (less than 10) should enable him to travel, gain valuable quals, forge many lasting friendships and discover what it is he wants to do with the rest of his life.

While he could potentially be in harm's way, which after all, is the nature of armed conflict, the chances in the near future seem remote. Iraq and Afghanistan have drained the public's appetite for British involvement (boots on the ground) in other people's problems. State on state confrontations will remain low key (eg cold war scale), in my humble opinion, so I can't see any immediate issues with your son being at significant risk. The greatest risk is more likely during the daily commute - as you will know if you're familiar with British driving abiliy!

I would encourage him and let him grow into the young man you will be proud of.
username3947342
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Am i the only one who wants to join the army so that I WILL be shot at?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Afforestation)
Am i the only one who wants to join the army so that I WILL be shot at?
Yep.

And if they know that, they won't let you in
NFI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Yep.

And if they know that, they won't let you in
😂 You need some more exposure to soldiers Drewski. On operations, amongst the teeth arms, the number of soldiers that actively seek enemy contact far outweighs those that avoid it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.64%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.55%
I need help with my personal statement (82)
41.41%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.52%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise