Tips on my A Level choices Watch

Admera
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I'm currently in year 11 and I just finished my GCSE's and for the most lart they went well.

I am unsure of what A Level options I should take, I'm only going to take 3.

I am 100% sure I want to take
- Modern History
I took it at gcse and although I found revising it stressful I absolutely loved the content.

I will probably take
- Pyschology
I didn't take it at gcse (wasn't an option at my school) but the subject seems interesting and looks like something I will enjoy however I have heard people say it gets boring??

Possible third options
- English Language
- French
- Maths
- English Literature

Any advice? I have no idea what I want to do at uni
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JEG666
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History and Psychology both have high work loads so that's something to consider when picking a third option. But in terms of uni, pretty much all the subjects you've listed are 'facilitating' subjects meaning unis highly value them. My advice would be, for you're third option, pick what you know you'll really enjoy because with three A-levels that you know you will enjoy, you're bound to end up liking one of them so much you want to continue it further! Good luck!
em_n
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like the person above said your other two choices are essay based which can be quite difficult when you're needing to write essays for homework and revision etc (fine if you enjoy them though), but i took 3 science A levels (physics, maths, and biology) and i often found myself wishing i'd chosen some variety. So i'd say maybe if you enjoy maths too pick that as although it is very difficult it is very straight-forward to revise and do homework for and is also very highly regarded and will show universities you can think logically and solve problems as well as write essays.
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I take History, like you I found it stressful at gcse yet managed to get a good grade from it. Honestly, dont take the course unless you're completely sure! I enjoy learning about History but the actual essay writings are stressful af, tbh I dont know many people in my class who are happy they chose History (though our history teachers aren't the best....we've had 5 teachers in this year alone) if you do take the subject, make sure you understand the content but also why certain events are important, history is all about explaining the significance rather than quoting loads of facts at A-level. Oh, also dont be disillusioned by bad grades....it takes a v long time to get used to technique...I still haven't perfected it tbh!
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(I also take English Literature and Language as the combined course if you have any questions about that )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads