The Student Room Group

My friend will never ask to hang out, but always hang out if I ask...

Just a bit curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with this kind of thing?

I've known my friend for over a year now, and we get on really well together. Whenever we hang out we both have a lot of fun and we can also have banter over text too.

But I've noticed that they'll *never* text me first, I always have to initiate a conversation. I also noticed that they've never asked me to hang out, it's always me who has to do this. I've got this fear where I just feel like I'm bothering them whenever I message them or ask them to hang out - but when we're together it's fine.

They always say 'hit me up if you need anything' and 'call me if you need me' but I just would feel uncomfortable doing this since they never initiate contact with me...and I feel like I'd be bothering them.

Am I just overthinking it or is it a possibility that perhaps they no longer like me anymore? I get the impression it's more of a 'I'm down to hang out if you ask but I won't ask you' on their side.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, guys :smile:
Nah, absolutely not. You're overthinking it. For the most part of my life, I was this kid. I had a best friend and we hung out every day yet it was always her who suggested what we did and where we went. That's how our relationship worked. I was timid and although we were comfortable with each other, initiating a conversation or putting forward an idea of my own was never something I did. That's just how some people are and you have to accept that. Now, I've come out of my shell and grown in confidence. I have a new best friend and I'm the one who invites her around to my place and arranges times to hang out rather than her. Not to say she's alike how I used to be at all, I just tend to get there first.
Reply 2
Original post by sonny.jim
Nah, absolutely not. You're overthinking it. For the most part of my life, I was this kid. I had a best friend and we hung out every day yet it was always her who suggested what we did and where we went. That's how our relationship worked. I was timid and although we were comfortable with each other, initiating a conversation or putting forward an idea of my own was never something I did. That's just how some people are and you have to accept that. Now, I've come out of my shell and grown in confidence. I have a new best friend and I'm the one who invites her around to my place and arranges times to hang out rather than her. Not to say she's alike how I used to be at all, I just tend to get there first.

That's definitely reassuring to hear, thank you so much! You're absolutely right, I've just gotta accept it. Thank you :smile:
yeah, i've had that too. There's just some people who are either cba with responding or technology. Or they are a bit antisocial. For me, I hate people calling me instead of texting so I try to avoid answering sometimes...

But yeah, doesn't mean they dislike you or anything, just got to accept that's the way they are and not take it personally.
are they like this with other people or just you?
Ur over thinking :yep:
Don't worry they probably have never made the first move :dontknow:
Reply 6
I would be that friend. I don't like planning activities but I do messege them. Don't worry about it, they may consider it bothering you but like to be contacted, they probably feel more comfortable with that.
I am that friend lol
Reply 8
Nearly all of my friends are like this. I never get invited to do anything and I'm the one that has to plan/book etc. It gets very frustrating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending