The Student Room Group

computer science or art gcse

I know its a long way off but I want to become a structural/ transportation engineer and study civil engineering at university. Would taking art or computer science be beneficial? I've currently chosen computer science, but might change to art gcse.
Reply 1
stick with computer science
choose what you'd enjoy more. compsci may be more beneficial though.
I am now going on to do Engineering/Maths at uni, not 100% sure which yet. I did Art GCSE, as at the time I wanted to be an Architect. I guess this shows how your mind can change.
One thing I found with art, and you will also find, is that if you want to do well (I got an A*) it takes heaps of work - loads. You have to fill sketchbooks, do final pieces, and this is all so much (unneeded stress) alongside your other subjects. If you want to do engineering, I'd say do Computer Science, and focus on getting A*s in Bio Chem and Physics and Maths, and then do Computer Science alongside that, as it will look better than art for engineering.

This is unless of course, you think you may change your mind and apply to an Architecture course when the time comes - for this, you will need Art GCSE and more than likely A-level.

Good luck!
Your GCSEs won't affect your chances of doing what you want so pick whichever you enjoy and/or will do best in.
Try catering
Thank you so much! This really helped and I definitely do not want to do architecture because of having to spend 7 years in university and the long hours that the job involves. I think that art gcse would stress me out anyway and you have really inspired me to do well in life in general- hopefully hard work pays off.
Original post by MathsGod100
I am now going on to do Engineering/Maths at uni, not 100% sure which yet. I did Art GCSE, as at the time I wanted to be an Architect. I guess this shows how your mind can change.
One thing I found with art, and you will also find, is that if you want to do well (I got an A*) it takes heaps of work - loads. You have to fill sketchbooks, do final pieces, and this is all so much (unneeded stress) alongside your other subjects. If you want to do engineering, I'd say do Computer Science, and focus on getting A*s in Bio Chem and Physics and Maths, and then do Computer Science alongside that, as it will look better than art for engineering.

This is unless of course, you think you may change your mind and apply to an Architecture course when the time comes - for this, you will need Art GCSE and more than likely A-level.

Good luck!
Original post by bvfh.
stick with computer science

thanks for the advice, its made me more confident with my options
Original post by entertainmyfaith
choose what you'd enjoy more. compsci may be more beneficial though.

thank you for your input!!
Original post by erica3358
thank you for your input!!

no problem:smile: in regards to architecture, you can always build up a portfolio outside school:yep: unis like that sorta stuff.
Reply 10
CS was actually all right. There is less content than other gcses imho
Original post by yœ!
CS was actually all right. There is less content than other gcses imho

Are you talking about the 9-1 gcses, because if so, that's great news for me! Thanks
Reply 12
Are you talking about the 9-1 gcses, because if so, that's great news for me! Thanks

i did the 9-1 computer science exam 3 weeks ago and it went well and was quite easy
Reply 13
Original post by bvfh.
i did the 9-1 computer science exam 3 weeks ago and it went well and was quite easy

same. It was a good paper but the one on how does doubling the cores not double processing speed threw me a bit
Original post by bvfh.

Is there any coursework or is it purely exam based?
Reply 15
Is there any coursework or is it purely exam based?

20 percent controlled assessment where you code and theres 80 percent exam with two papers
but for us the controlled assessment got cancelled for the country due to people cheating online so for us it was 100 percent exam based but it might be like that again or they may bring the controlled assessment back
Reply 16
Original post by yœ!
same. It was a good paper but the one on how does doubling the cores not double processing speed threw me a bit

OCR?
Reply 17
Original post by bvfh.
OCR?

yeah. im doing alevel next year as well
Reply 18
Original post by yœ!
yeah. im doing alevel next year as well

yh i did ocr too

Quick Reply

Latest