Is football as pointless as reality tv?

Watch this thread
itgehane
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I love watching football and have grown up with it. But unless you're betting, is it as mind numbing, pointless and repetitive as reality tv?

Each game brings me entertainment but when I take a step back, what am I really getting out of it?

If I watch a good tv programme or a film, again sometimes it's just entertainment, but a lot of the time it alters the way I think and I learn new things. With football I don't really gain anything.

Am I going to watch Germany later and then Brazil tonight? You bet. But is it really any different from watching Love Island (which I also enjoy).

I'm not talking about the money, the impact it has on cities/countries, the jobs it provides. But just the actual act of watching football as a supporter. Are you wasting away your life supporting a football team that doesn't really affect you?

We're all allowed simple entertainment that isn't mentally challenging, but when you dedicate so much of your time to watching it and buying tickets, is it a waste? Why are we so addicted. From working class to middle aged professionals. Yes it's enjoyable but is it basically reality tv? Aside from the scripted aspects.
Helios33sa
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by itgehane)
I love watching football and have grown up with it. But unless you're betting, is it as mind numbing, pointless and repetitive as reality tv?

Each game brings me entertainment but when I take a step back, what am I really getting out of it?

If I watch a good tv programme or a film, again sometimes it's just entertainment, but a lot of the time it alters the way I think and I learn new things. With football I don't really gain anything.

Am I going to watch Germany later and then Brazil tonight? You bet. But is it really any different from watching Love Island (which I also enjoy).

I'm not talking about the money, the impact it has on cities/countries, the jobs it provides. But just the actual act of watching football as a supporter. Are you wasting away your life supporting a football team that doesn't really affect you?

We're all allowed simple entertainment that isn't mentally challenging, but when you dedicate so much of your time to watching it and buying tickets, is it a waste? Why are we so addicted. From working class to middle aged professionals. Yes it's enjoyable but is it basically reality tv? Aside from the scripted aspects.
Like many forms of entertainment, watching Football is essentially a huge waste of time, especially if your one of those supporters that waste thousands on seasons tickets and spends their weekend travelling to support their team. But at the end of the day, if you enjoy it, then go for it. Time you enjoyed wasting is not really wasted time.
Amanzhol
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Personally I find it a waste of time but that's because I didn't grow up watching it. However I find the world cup to be a different case as it's more like the Olympics in the way it brings people together and just seems a lot more interesting, and so I'd probably enjoy watching the world cup final but would never deliberately watch the FA cup final for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (229)
42.17%
The paper was reasonable (231)
42.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (49)
9.02%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
6.26%

Watched Threads