The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

But the tension keeps you hooked
Reply 2
Yep football is indeed rather boring most of the time.Obviously that’s especially true when you don’t mind who wins and no doubt that’s why betting on football has really taken off in the last 20 years.
I rarely watch a game from start to finish .Lifes just too short .
Having said that ,it wouldn’t be at all boring if you were there -well maybe not Mansfield vYeovil -because being in the crowd and seeing the whole pitch and drinking in the atmosphere makes a big difference.
It’s interesting because I’m old enough to remember when there was hardly any live football and watching any live game was an event and the reason the authorities weren’t keen on showing live games is because they thought not many would attend.
But for anyone who is bored watching most games let me give you some advice ;
Don’t bother watching the first 20 minutes of any game -by all means watch a bit of the build up to kick off to get into the spirit of the occasion though -just watch about 5 minutes of the first half to see if it’s any good .The comentator will give you an idea of what kind of game it is.
And if the favourite is winning at half time then unless it’s a vital game for some reason don’t waste your time watching the second half,
just keep an eye on flashscores and if the underdog equalises then you can go and watch as it should be entertaining from then on.
Alternatively just watch something else and keep the game on with no commentary .
You know it makes sense🙃
(edited 5 years ago)
Yep and it makes fools out of a lot of men. The energy and passion they put into it could change the world but no instead they’ll only cry and be emotive about losing a football match.
Reply 4
Original post by Little Popcorns
Yep and it makes fools out of a lot of men. The energy and passion they put into it could change the world but no instead they’ll only cry and be emotive about losing a football match.

I must admit that this made me laugh.
Actually I disagree that the energy and passion men put into football could change the world for the better (which I assume you meant ).
Rather I think it more likely that football helps keep men from screwing up the world more than they already are and is therefore a truly wonderful phenomenon.😯
Objectively wrong. It's not just goals that are exciting.

If you want an actually boring sport, go play cricket
Reply 6
But no ones saying playing football is boring .(My God I really miss my days as my years top goalhangar and once scored 23 goals in a day!)But even if you’re referring to watching cricket ,on an objective basis 20-20 cricket is clearly more exciting than 90% of soccer matches.And while the 4 day game is obviously very boring to most people ,to those who follow cricket it can be deeply fascinating still.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Sorry I omitted to quote you above
Could be said about almost every sport to be honest. The American sports are stop-start with adverts crammed into every break in play, cricket is long and pretty uneventful, rugby is relatively repetitive with little room for the sort of individual brilliance that makes players of other sports famous, and the Olympics is pretty much just watching different people do the same things in similar times every 4 years. And that's coming from somebody that likes all of them (aside from cricket).

I guess football attracts the most criticism since it's probably the most popular sport in the world. But I always find the negative posts on Facebook during a major football tournament, sandwiched between enthusiastic comments about shows like Love Island, a little strange. Some people obviously get some amusement out of expressing their dislike for football, despite displaying their own questionable tastes to the world.
Original post by moggis
I must admit that this made me laugh.
Actually I disagree that the energy and passion men put into football could change the world for the better (which I assume you meant ).
Rather I think it more likely that football helps keep men from screwing up the world more than they already are and is therefore a truly wonderful phenomenon.😯

Could be could be!
Reply 10
Could be could be!

I feel I should let you know by way of balance in that case that a football match once caused a war to break out ! (In Central America )

By the way I really think you should attend a game .
You’ll love it 😁
Original post by karl pilkington
Agreed? Some games are good but you are watching for an hour and a half just for one or two goals then the rest is just zzzzzzzz.

100% agree, idk whats the hype with watching a sport when playing it is how ur acc meant to enjoy it. Also, basketball is 10x better than football.

They are providing entertainment which = values to the lives of others. Also many children are often inspired by footballers. Not to mention many footballers do donate a lot to charity
Reply 13
Oh. I have just realised that it was very poor of me to assume Little Popcorns has never been to a football match .
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Stfu. Cricket is better than football any day. I'd rather watch a match of cricket between ppl who had no arms than stay for an entire hour watching football.
It's much better when you are actually in the stadium, and or watching it with friends.
Original post by Cyber Curry
Stfu. Cricket is better than football any day. I'd rather watch a match of cricket between ppl who had no arms than stay for an entire hour watching football.

cricket is a sport where you can watch for four days and still have no idea who's going to win, because nothing has happened. **** sport.
Reported. For racism.
Reply 18
Original post by Quixote.
Could be said about almost every sport to be honest. The American sports are stop-start with adverts crammed into every break in play, cricket is long and pretty uneventful, rugby is relatively repetitive with little room for the sort of individual brilliance that makes players of other sports famous, and the Olympics is pretty much just watching different people do the same things in similar times every 4 years. And that's coming from somebody that likes all of them (aside from cricket).

I guess football attracts the most criticism since it's probably the most popular sport in the world. But I always find the negative posts on Facebook during a major football tournament, sandwiched between enthusiastic comments about shows like Love Island, a little strange. Some people obviously get some amusement out of expressing their dislike for football, despite displaying their own questionable tastes to the world.

Indeed . Sport in general is boring.
Unless you’re there when the atmosphere and occasion makes it surprisingly enthralling .
Or unless you’ve bet on it .
The thing about football that helps make it the best sport in the world is that because it has very low scoring compared to other sports the result is more usually in doubt for longer and the team that plays worse often gets a result .
Luck plays a bigger part in football in the short term than in almost any other sport .
There's a reason is the most popular sport on the planet, clearly its doing something right