The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
They are providing entertainment which = values to the lives of others. Also many children are often inspired by footballers. Not to mention many footballers do donate a lot to charity

Hmm under no circumstances are they getting paid an appropriate amount for just fannying about on a pitch. They get paid far too much. It cannot be said that they are public servants.

Children are inspired by lots of different kinds of role models. Footballers are just one of them. Part of me feels like if we didn’t pay footballers so much it wouldn’t have such a hold over people. People are in awe of the rich for all the wrong reasons.
Most children won’t be good enough to become footballers anyway so in that sense they’re inappropriate role models. Then there’s the hooliganism... bad example for children.

If children play football as a sport I think it’s as great as any other sport a child might enjoy playing - exercise, team building and aids in the development of their social skills.
Original post by moggis
I feel I should let you know by way of balance in that case that a football match once caused a war to break out ! (In Central America )

By the way I really think you should attend a game .
You’ll love it 😁

Exactly it does have that effect on people makes the a bit ridiculous and basic.

Perhaps! We’ll see :smile:
Boring AF. Just a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around a field, pretending to be hurt at any given opportunity to gain an advantage. Zzzzz...
Reply 23
International football is yeah, can't stand it. Club football is where it's at.
Original post by Little Popcorns
Yep and it makes fools out of a lot of men. The energy and passion they put into it could change the world but no instead they’ll only cry and be emotive about losing a football match.

changing the world?

after didier drogba helped the ivory coast team qualify for the 2006 World Cup, he challenged President Gbagbo to end the civil war. He made a desperate plea to the combatants, asking them to lay down their arms, a plea which was answered with a ceasefire after five years of civil war.

you honestly believe this isn't changing the world...
Reply 25
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Boring AF. Just a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around a field, pretending to be hurt at any given opportunity to gain an advantage. Zzzzz...

Everything can be reduced down to its most basic level. What do you enjoy?
Original post by Mess.
Everything can be reduced down to its most basic level. What do you enjoy?

Snooker. Before you retort "it's just some blokes knocking some balls around a table", allow me to retort in advance. There are 7 year old kids all over the world that can pass a ball to their teammates and score a goal with great proficiency. Snooker is infinitely more complicated than that, and to attain such a level of proficiency is beyond what the extreme majority of 7 year olds can even comprehend. It requires years of drilling in one's fundamentals to ensure accurate striking every time - we're talking mere millimetres here, in terms of margin for error. Then there's the years of learning potting angles, more years of learning cue ball speed control, learning common positional shots, how to use spin accurately (which, again, requires pinpoint accuracy and being off by a few mm is the difference between a successful and unsuccessful shot). Then there's the tactical side of the game, learning "patterns" through years of experience, as well as learning defensive strategy again through many years of play.

I find it an outrage that even the most successful of snooker players earn in their whole careers what a football player will earn in a year, when a snooker player has more talent in their little finger than an entire team of football players has put together.
Reply 27
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Snooker. Before you retort "it's just some blokes knocking some balls around a table", allow me to retort in advance. There are 7 year old kids all over the world that can pass a ball to their teammates and score a goal with great proficiency. Snooker is infinitely more complicated than that, and to attain such a level of proficiency is beyond what the extreme majority of 7 year olds can even comprehend. It requires years of drilling in one's fundamentals to ensure accurate striking every time - we're talking mere millimetres here, in terms of margin for error. Then there's the years of learning potting angles, more years of learning cue ball speed control, learning common positional shots, how to use spin accurately (which, again, requires pinpoint accuracy and being off by a few mm is the difference between a successful and unsuccessful shot). Then there's the tactical side of the game, learning "patterns" through years of experience, as well as learning defensive strategy again through many years of play.

I find it an outrage that even the most successful of snooker players earn in their whole careers what a football player will earn in a year, when a snooker player has more talent in their little finger than an entire team of football players has put together.

In brief, footballers have to undertake all of those strategies whilst somebody else is trying to stop them.

Do you honestly think that players in football learn the concepts of spin, tactics, operating in one fluid movement as a team and control at speed by the time they are 7?

The easiest comparison is to go and watch the highest level amateur snooker competition you can find and directly compare them against the top level snooker professionals in the world championships . Then go and do the same for football.

Amateur and top level snooker are much closer in ability than amateur and top level football.

Snooker is a closed skill based competition whereby you essentially compete against yourself.

In addition, football is the most widely played sport on the planet so the best players can genuinely be considered the best players in the world. Every other sport is underplayed in comparison, so there is a genuine argument to be had that potentially the best in those minor sports are already playing a different sport.

You see the above all the time in American sports and in the UK you find that a lot of footballers played really high level youth competition in the likes of rugby and cricket but chose football as a professional career.
Trust me and my brother's keep hogging the tv too
Original post by Mess.
In brief, footballers have to undertake all of those strategies whilst somebody else is trying to stop them.

Do you honestly think that players in football learn the concepts of spin, tactics, operating in one fluid movement as a team and control at speed by the time they are 7?

The easiest comparison is to go and watch the highest level amateur snooker competition you can find and directly compare them against the top level snooker professionals in the world championships . Then go and do the same for football.

Amateur and top level snooker are much closer in ability than amateur and top level football.

Snooker is a closed skill based competition whereby you essentially compete against yourself.

In addition, football is the most widely played sport on the planet so the best players can genuinely be considered the best players in the world. Every other sport is underplayed in comparison, so there is a genuine argument to be had that potentially the best in those minor sports are already playing a different sport.

You see the above all the time in American sports and in the UK you find that a lot of footballers played really high level youth competition in the likes of rugby and cricket but chose football as a professional career.

The notion that amateur and top level professional play in snooker is inherently wrong, right off the bat. There's a reason that there's a top 100 in professional snooker, yet even in the open tournaments the players not in the top 16 typically go out in the early stages of tournaments. They just can't compete with the top pro's unless that player is having an off day. It's one thing to be able to knock in centuries consistently in practice, it's another to be a proficient match player and to play your best game when the pressure is on. Different worlds between the top amateurs and the top professionals.

There's of course no denying that football does take a lot of skill and perhaps I was a little harsh in my previous post, but to say the level of precision required in football is in any way comparable to snooker is insanity if you ask me. There are so many different variables that affect the direction the cue ball takes, and again they require accuracy to the mm as well as often precise power output. It's a whole different world to kicking a football on the intended line of aim.
Football is boring for whom who are not interested in watching football.

Latest