CAMB UNI: eligible for the camb bursary but dont want to apply for student finance! Watch

Demesne7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Heya, anyone out there able to sort out my dilemma?

so i hold an offer from cambridge uni and my college has emailed me telling me that if i want to apply for the cambridge bursary i need to apply for student finance first and the info is automatically transferred to camb so they can assess my household income/eligibility

seems like a smooth process, except, i don't actually need student finance but I am still eligible for the bursary so i'm not sure what to do now? (i come from a british territory where our local government fully subsidises our education i'm not rich haha)

i don't know what to do about this, i tried making an account for student finance but you can't bypass the part where you have to apply for a loan... anyone can help?

much appreciated
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Demesne7)

so i hold an offer from cambridge uni and my college has emailed me telling me that if i want to apply for the cambridge bursary i need to apply for student finance first and the info is automatically transferred to camb so they can assess my household income/eligibility

seems like a smooth process, except, i don't actually need student finance but I am still eligible for the bursary so i'm not sure what to do now? (i come from a british territory where our local government fully subsidises our education i'm not rich haha)

i don't know what to do about this, i tried making an account for student finance but you can't bypass the part where you have to apply for a loan... anyone can help?

much appreciated
Are you sure you’re eligible for the college bursary?
It’s usually means-tested, so if you have a good source of finance like in your case, not sure if you can get bursaynon top of that. Have you contacted the college to explain the situation and check your eligibility?
Demesne7
Rep:
?
(Original post by vincrows)
Are you sure you’re eligible for the college bursary?
It’s usually means-tested, so if you have a good source of finance like in your case, not sure if you can get bursaynon top of that. Have you contacted the college to explain the situation and check your eligibility?
I figured I was eligible as my household income is indeed below £42,620. Do they look at other factors beyond this?

"If you are a UK or EU undergraduate student with a household income of below £42,620 then you are likely to be eligible for a Cambridge Bursary of up to £3,500 per year." (https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac...mbridgebursary)
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I figured I was eligible as my household income is indeed below £42,620. Do they look at other factors beyond this?

"If you are a UK or EU undergraduate student with a household income of below £42,620 then you are likely to be eligible for a Cambridge Bursary of up to £3,500 per year." (https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac...mbridgebursary)
Yes, you should be eligible. You apply for student finance as usual, there is an option to type in how much loan you want and you can just write £0 in those boxes.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

much appreciated
(Original post by Forecast)
Yes, you should be eligible. You apply for student finance as usual, there is an option to type in how much loan you want and you can just write £0 in those boxes.
^this.

They use your SFE household information to determine eligibility - whether or not you actually take up a SFE loan. Some students don't want the loan for personal or religious reasons, but do want the bursary. It's fine to do this.
Demesne7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Forecast)

(Original post by Doonesbury)
^this.

They use your SFE household information to determine eligibility - whether or not you actually take up a SFE loan. Some students don't want the loan for personal or religious reasons, but do want the bursary. It's fine to do this.

Ahh fab thanks guys exactly what I needed. TSR to the rescue again 😍 . Much appreciated xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads