Infinity...
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What will be the supremum and infimum of the set { m/(|m|+n) : n- natural numbers, m- integers}?
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Infinity ∞)
What will be the supremum and infimum of the set { m/(|m|+n) : n- natural numbers, m- integers}?
Divide into cases for when m is positive or negative, so that you can deal with the absolute value. I can't give you the full solution as the forum rules prohibit it, but hopefully this should get you started.
square_peg
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Think about how n changes the expression m/(|m|+n). Try varying it to extremes.

It's really helpful in these problems when one of the numbers changes the expression monotonically. Is the function f(n) = m/(|m|+n) monotonic over the natural numbers? This helps us to find the extreme values. Notice though that this will be different depending on whether m is positive or negative.
Ryanzmw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Infinity ∞)
hint: m > 0 :  \dfrac{m}{\vert{m}\vert + n} =  1- \dfrac{n}{ m+ n}
 m < 0: \dfrac{m}{\vert{m}\vert + n} = -1 - \dfrac{n}{m-n}

Try vary m and n looking at extremal cases. You should be able to check your answer over at Wolframalpha.com/
ciberyad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It helps to notice that \left|\dfrac m{|m|+n}\right|=\dfrac{|m|}{|m|+  n}\leq\dfrac{|m|}{|m|+1}<1.

Also, try m=n^2 and m=-n^2 and see what happens for large n.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (266)
56.48%
I don't have everything I need (205)
43.52%

Watched Threads